Shield

The streets filled with people, carrying small plates of food on their palms and sample sized cups of booze. People greeted Shelby and Gideon as we moved through the parted crowd to an area that'd been sectioned off for them.

I stayed with Shelby through Gideon's opening remarks, giving her hand a squeeze once I spotted Jin, Jimin, Yoongi, and Namjoon among the other patrons, mingling casually until the sun started to set. The crowd spread so that a circle formed for the evening's entertainment, starting off with a small chorus of the town's children.

While they sang I gave the signal for Yoongi and Jimin to begin. When I could no longer see them among the spread of people I knew they'd snuck away to the armory. My skin crawled as I tried to remain composed, Jin leaning into my ear with a last minute revelation.

"I need to go after Jungkook and Taehyung without you." His facial expression didn't match our conversation. Anyone watching would have concluded that he was talking about the food. He knew I'd disagree, turning outward so that we faced the choir, enjoying the slightly off-key but sweet melody just as the other attendees. "You're being watched almost as closely as Shelby. If you disappear they'll know it."

On cue my eye met Emmanuel's across the crowd. He wore a serious expression, assessing Jin and my interaction so I did my best to smile, wriggling a couple of my fingers to feign flirtation.

I crossed my fingers at my sides with a silent wish that Jimin and Yoongi had taken the armory, that they were nearly done collecting weapons. "I still don't know how Shelby and I get out." My voice was barely audible over the buzz of noise around us.

"Let me worry about that. You just keep things under control here and be ready." He'd leaned down so that his mouth was just by my ear, his reassurance coming with the choir's final note. 

He disappeared from next to me and I knew we were on to the next phase as an announcement began for the next entertainment, Taehyung and Jungkook. The audience jeered with excitement as they were escorted into the circle that was now more of an arena. Guards created an outline at the edge of the crowd and while one side of the congregation parted as they were brought in, I weaved through to the other side to claim a spot next to Emmanuel.

"You like to talk with the other citizens." He noted. I shifted my gaze from the tiny space where I could see Taehyung past the man in front of me to look at Emmanuel.

"I do, but I thought I should come over here where I feel safer to watch the fight." I bumped my shoulder with his. It was a challenge to keep him distracted and I noticed the way he flickered his eyes back and forth from watching the fight to assessing the crowd. If I couldn't keep him engaged he'd notice that there were a specific four people missing from the event.

Taehyung landed a punch so hard that several people gasped and I flinched, grabbing ahold of Emmanuel's arm.

"You don't like the fight?" He inquired, a sly smirk on his lips as his arm flexed under my touch.

"It's a bit brutal don't you think." I retorted.

He chuckled, the first time I'd ever heard him laugh. "I never took you as a woman who was put off by a little fight."

A knot formed in my stomach as I watched Jungkook start to choke Taehyung, the fight ending when his face was a deep shade of red and he slapped his hand against the ground in a plea for it to stop. One of the guards moved between them, lifting Jungkook's arm in the air as the crowd split between booing and cheering. I wanted to watch them leave, but Emmanuel had already turned so that we walked back toward Gideon and Shelby.

I dropped his arm when we were closer, moving to stand by Shelby while he and Gideon leaned toward each other to chat.

"Can I get you anything?" I played my role, Shelby shaking her head in response. From my place I scanned the faces of every guard, searching for any sign that something was awry. With nightfall a bonfire was being lit in the circle once used as the stage, crackling embers combing through the air as it grew.