★ Chapter 1- Alex

"My Mama Always Said You've Got To Put The Past Behind You Before You Can Move On

"My Mama Always Said You've Got To Put The Past Behind You Before You Can Move On."

- Forest Gump

____________

Selena fucking Thornton.

That's the woman fucking my father.

And you must know, when I say "fuck," I don't mean it lightly. I don't use that sort of word lightly. It's obvious to anyone smart enough to see it, they're fucking. I don't know when they started it, and I don't know when they'll end it (if they plan to), but they're definitely, actively fucking. I had to find out the hard way.

My father is anything but a faithful husband. I guess that's what you become when you're  practically forced into marrying someone at eighteen. The affection you hold for the other person, over time, fades into the air, leaving a slaughterhouse in its place. I've never thought my father was fully monogamous, but I expected something like a one-night-stand every once in a while, not anything remotely real.

My dad spends his days traveling. He moved to Colorado when I was eight, at the worst possible time for me and my mom. He visits California about once a year; he's probably annoyed at the reminder that he does indeed have a wife and a kid still. Most of his time is spent in Colorado though, with the newly discovered Selena Thornton.

I'll admit, it wasn't precisely an easy task to find her. I struggled mostly with the name. I knew my dad was cheating on my mother but never suspected to what extent. I scrolled through his company's official account, bored out of my mind. It was 2 am, the air was stale, and my mind was caught in a cycle of monotony.

I stumbled upon a picture of my dad; polished extensively. His blonde hair was pulled back by gel, and his tie was tight enough to suffocate the life out of any man. His smile took the spotlight the second my eyes landed on it. He was smiling with both his mouth and his eyes with the kind of smile he'd failed to grant his family ever since he'd left it for Colorado. I looked to the side of the picture, and a figure emerged.

She was tall and slender and held a steady gaze toward the camera. Her shiny eyes nearly distracted me from the grip she held on to my dad. Her hand was on his elbow; she held a firm grip. He clearly didn't mind.

It took a few hours to find her name, and thirty minutes at most to find out everything else I needed to know. She's twenty-nine, nearly a decade younger than my father. She was born in Labrador, Canada and immigrated to the U.S when she was twelve. Graduated from University of Denver with a law degree. She visits her family in Canada every couple of months, attempting to aid given their poor financial situation. She's a mother to a hamster named Butters. She's charming and funny...

And gorgeous.

She is a gorgeous brunette with bright blue eyes and a heart of gold. There lies the perfect woman capable of making my dad smile with his eyes. She's everything my mom and I are not, but she's also the woman knowingly fucking a married man.