★ Chapter 36- Alex

"Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want

"Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?"

- The Notebook

____________

Three savage beasts are rumbling and fighting on Bay's floor.

While everyone else around me is shouting or cursing, or watching the display with curious eyes, I'm too paralyzed to even speak. I can't move. I stare at three guys growing horns and claws and spilling blood and hatred, and I wonder how it all came down to this. How I went from getting out of Jonathan's car to witnessing the display of misery.

Holy fuck, what if something happens? I may not be crying now, but the second Chris or Jonathan get hurt, I'll be on the floor hyperventilating.

Yes, Chris or Jonathan. Jonathan is in there too, punching and kicking, caught in a violent haze. At some point, when clenching his jaw and glaring at Lawrence for his comments about me wasn't enough, he decided to be part of the action.

And now...

I'm going to be sick.

I wish I could step in there. I wish I could intervene in some way. I wish I had the guts to scream at Jonathan for thinking it was a good idea to jump into an already dangerous fight. Yet, I can barely catch my breath. I have no idea what could possibly happen. I've seen a few fights in my school, but they're short-lived. Cops and teachers are called, and with their strength, they're always capable of controlling the situation. By the next day, it's as if nothing happened.

Not this. This is serious. This is wild and livid. There is fury pumping through the veins of everyone involved, and, as far as I can tell, there is nothing anyone could do to stop them. If I were to step in, I would only get hurt.

Mrs. Thomas is in hysterics. She tried to intervene when she saw what was happening, but quickly she realized there was no use. All the anger that's been bottled up only has one way of getting out. I just have to stand here and watch, and implore Chris and Jonathan will be fine.

They have to be fine.

What infuriates me isn't Jonathan fighting. I appreciate his display of solidarity with Chris. After all, Chris is fairly strong, but Jonathan is a wild hyena. Even I didn't know he had so much anger in him. He always conceals his emotions so well, it's strange to look at his face and spot indignation. Rage. But he didn't do it for Chris. Chris threw the first punch and declared the first fight. Jonathan stepped in later as a right-hand man...to "defend my honor."

Granted, Lawrence did say some putrid shit about me before he stepped in, stuff I don't dare repeat, but those were insults reserved for me, and me only. If I'm able to listen to all of Lawrence's insults with a straight face, then Jonathan should be able to tolerate them as well. He should be able to bottle his rage, as I've always done. Now, he's in the middle of a fight where I'm not sure he won't get hurt or in serious legal trouble.