★ Chapter 23- Alex

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

- Cool Hand Luke

___________________

"Alex Clayton!" Yells Noah in the car. With two words, I can already recognize he's had a few drinks. I wouldn't say he's full-on drunk, but certainly a bit tipsy.

It's strange. The car doesn't smell like alcohol, but Noah definitely does. The car more so smells like...cologne.

"Jonathan hasn't been able to shut up about you in a while," Liz adds as she rolls her eyes. She looks perfectly sober.

"What?" I turn to look at Jonathan. I expect him to look relaxed enough to help me settle, instead he looks even more bewildered than me.

"Don't listen to them. They've only seen you twice, and they're already overreacting."

I chuckle.

Yeah, they're just overreacting

The guy in the driver's seat turns his head to face me. He's a blond, with the smuggest expression I've ever seen. It frightens me to know the drunkest-looking guy on the car is the guy driving. I try to think of a polite way to greet him, but nothing comes to mind. So I wave and avoid his very persistant stare. I slightly pull the sleeve of my shirt, breathing in and out. I'll be fine. I just need to be courteous.

"Is he drunk?" I ask Bradley in a whisper.

"What? No!" He says. "This is regular Brett. Drunk Brett means a lot more crying and a lot more of us laughing our asses off."

I nod, relieved. "Hello, I'm Alex," I say, bringing my hand over to the driver's seat. He ignores it.

His eyes take turns between me and Bradley, until they eventually settle on me again. "She's hot."

"Okay, Brett," Murmurs Liz.

"Sweet," He comments. "Got yourself a good one, Jonathan."

"Shut up," Bradley mutters.

"So this is the gorgeous girl you were talking to us about."

I roll my eyes, trying my best not to blush.

"Indeed she is."

"Well my sister's a little angry I gave people the impression her little 'get together' was a party, so, blondie, try to say good things about me. You know...so she doesn't kill me tomorrow morning."

"Sure?"

"I hope no one invited Jill. If I bump into here one more time, I'll probably spontaneously combust."

"Who's Jill?" I ask Jonathan in the form of a whisper.

"Brett and Jill dated," He replies for everyone to hear. I look down.