★ Chapter 14- Jonathan

"You look like hell," Lizzie says, I almost back away from her, but she pulls me into a hug

"What did you say, dickhead?" I ask.

"She said nothing," Noah replies with a beam. "But she is right, you look like hell."

"Thanks for the info, I couldn't sleep last night."

"You say that as if you could sleep any night."

"Are you two gonna keep mocking me or are we gonna play basketball?"

"Sure, but go easy on me, both of you," Noah says.Liz and I share a look. Liz has been playing basketball in school since 6th grade. The both of us united are a force to be reckoned with, which is why we never play together against Noah.

"I'm on your team," I tell him. "You know this."

"As if that would stop you. You were supposed to be on my team a week ago, remember?"

I roll my eyes as a fit of giggles spirals out of Liz; I smile. It's weird to see them so happy after everything. Their mom is still facing the struggle against cancer, so every laugh is a win. Both of them deserve it.

"Jonathan, you listening?"

I blink. "Um-uh, yeah."

"So you agree? You promise there will be no taking the ball from your teammate?"

I grab the ball. "If I promise will you shut up?"

He doesn't say anything, but I find amusement stored away in his eyes, that's enough to make this entire day worthwhile.

....

Half an hour passes by like minutes, we tackle each other on the ground, throw water on each other's faces, anything to win, in the end, we forget to keep count. We take a seat on a bench nearby while Noah messes with Liz's hair, I roll my eyes.

"You two-" I mutter before I hear a buzz coming from my pocket. I pick up my phone and find the "unknown number" screen staring back at me. I shouldn't respond, but when you have a mother like mine, you know better than to ignore strange phone calls for the mere risk of spam.

I stand up without realizing it, every muscle in me tense.

"Hello?" I let out.

"Bradley," is all I hear, from the voice of the sleep demon. How did she even get my number?

"Yeah?"

"Sorry to call so suddenly, I just wanted to tell you that we bought you some clothes, since...you know-" Her voice fades out, but the everlasting tone of pity remains.

"Since I don't have any," I finish for her.

"Yeah."

I shrug. "Well, cool, thanks."