00.

Prologue

"Lou! Lou." The familiar voice keeps echoing in his head.

He is drenched in sweat, jerking wildly on the bed, trying hard not to go to where his subconsciousness is leading him. But like always...he failed.

LuCaS

⭐️⭐️⭐️

No! No! Please not tonight. Just for this night let me have a restful sleep. My pleas fall on deaf ears as usual and I see my eight-year-old self in that familiar car filled with the aroma of mom's pasta which my sister, Lauren is eating. But instead of laughing with her, trying to steal some from her like that day, I'm yelling at dad to stop the car. Begging desperately not to go through this torture again. It's coming, I can feel it but I'm trapped in my seat. I can see the flashlight, it's blinding. I can hear the loud horn, it's terrifying.

No! No!

✨✨✨

I jerk awake with a gasp, my heart pounding wildly in my chest. I scan my surrounding in panic, only relaxing when it clicked that I'm in my room. And like always, I remember everything vividly. So vivid it feels like it happened just minutes ago. Taking a quick glance at the time, I see that it's just a few minutes to 3am. I yank the blanket off me with an angry huff, heading to the adjoining bathroom in my room.

Standing in front of the washbasin, I stare at my reflection in the mirror with my fist tightening around the basin. Ever since I lost my parents to a car accident nineteen years ago, I haven't for once had a restful night once. That accident took almost everything from me. Everything except Lauren.

There is no way I can go back to sleep now so instead of going back to bed, I pick up my headphone and make my way to the gym on the third floor.

Not bothering with the hand wraps, I go straight to the punching bag, venting on my anger and frustration on the poor thing.

Why does this nightmare hunt me anytime I close my eyes? Why do I have to go through the same torture everyday? Why?!

I let the fury burn through me, punching till my knuckles are bruised and bleeding. After a while, I moved to the pull up bar, later the bench press and finally the treadmill.

By the time I'm doing venting out my frustration and anger, it's already dawn. My muscles are sore and seriously aching but it's nothing new. I walk to the refrigerator just at the corner of the room and pick up a bottle of water. I drank some and poured the rest all over my head. I take off my vest using it as a towel to clean off the water and sweat on my body.

I feel my phone vibrating in my back pocket. Throwing the damp cloth somewhere, I pick it up only to find out it's a text from Vaughan, my uncle.

'To my study. Now.'

I am already pissed up as I'm and seeing my asshole uncle now will only make me more pissed but there is nothing I can do about it, I learned the hard way to do what he wants or Lauren takes the brunt. Not anymore though. It's time for a new start.

Lauren is my twin sister, the accident made her cripple and there is no hope she can ever walk again. I promised to take care of her and damn right I'm going to...with all my might. She is my only weakness, Vaughan knows and he uses her as a leash to keep me under his control. But like I said...not anymore.