Chapter 8

FEW MONTHS EARLIER.

" I don't think we're going to make it, Damon," Stefan half yelled at his brother.

" You know Stefan a little bit of encouraging words like, you're doing great brother, you can do this, will really be a great confidence boost," Damon snapped angrily at Stefan.

" Really?" Stefan looked at Damon briefly before looking backwards, " We are currently running from a mad original vampire and ancient vampires and you want me to give you words of encouragement?"

" Yes Stefan, yes! It will be better than your whole pessimistic thinking," Damon replied.

" Well too bad Damon. We are lucky to have made it this far. Stealing this from a thousand year old vampire isn't entirely easy," Stefan said as he unwrapped a piece of cloth which held a red gem stone in it.

" Well it's worth it. At least she might get a shot at human life again," Damon said to Stefan.

Stefan smiled.
" And us too," he said as he looked at his elder brother. Damon looked at him for a moment then he nodded hesitantly.

" I'm sorry for..." Stefan was saying as their car got hit. It skidded out of the road as it tumbled and crashed next to a tree.

Damon was breathing hard as blood trickled down his temple. Stefan quickly held the stone tightly in his hands. Both looked through the shattered window of the car as a boot approached them.

~

PRESENT DAY

" You're saying Jeremy is your brother's soulmate?" Elena asked confused. It was definitely the first time she was hearing it. Even Stefan was surprised.

" Precisely," Finn told them.

" I thought that was only a fairytale, a made up story to make vampirism less gruesome," Stefan said.

" It was made that way because soulmates amongst vampires are very rare. Not every vampire has a soulmate. Just as having a soulmate is rare, the bond between those who have soulmates is rare as well," Finn said.

" Then how does this apply to Jeremy and Arthur. Why is he suffering?" Alaric asked.

Matt had already gone up to check on Jeremy.

" They are suffering because one of them rejected the bond," Finn replied.

" And it's entirely your stupid brat of a brother's fault. He rejected their bond," Rebekah snapped.

" How sure are you? For all we know it could have been your brother," Elena retorted defending her brother.

" She's right, Elena," Matt said as he came down the stairs.

" What do you mean?" Elena asked.

" Jeremy was the one who rejected Arthur. I was there at the grill," Matt said.

Elena looked at him surprised at what he said.

" Since you guys are here," Alaric spoke up when he knew Elena wasn't going to say anything, " How do we help them?"

" The simple best way. The mates involved have to be in close proximity," Finn told him.

" How close?" Stefan asked.

" Their bodies must touch," Elijah was the one who answered him.

" Which is the reason why you must hand over the hunter to us," Talia said, " if you want to save him. At least that will attorn for his mistakes."

" There's no way in hell that we'll be doing that. I don't care if Jeremy was the one who rejected the bond or not. He's not leaving this house. I don't trust any of you," Elena stubbornly refused their request.