Chapter 14: Opportunity

The next several weeks are blissful for the couple. They wake up in the morning to soft sweet nothings and promises of forever. They end their days planning for their future, discussing when to move in together, and debating the ideal number of pups to have. Another heat, with more confessions of love, further strengthens their bond. Shoyo is slowly coming around. Each day, he is a little more confident, a little less worried.

Tobio is content. He has an omega that he adores, and he finally believes that he deserves to be happy, deserves to have this omega, based only on his love and devotion and not because of any material offerings he might be able to give. He is smiling more, which generates much teasing from Kuroo and Bo, but Tobio doesn't even mind. For once, things are going well for him.

Until.

He sees her enter the bar before she sees him. It's enough time for his mood to sour and a frown to appear on his face. What the fuck is she doing here?

The woman finally locks eyes with him and confidently strides towards him. She looks like she is on a mission.

Fuck, this can't be good.

She stands directly in front of him. "Tobio."

"Miwa. What are you doing here?" His tone is brusque and she visibly flinches.

"I'm just delivering a message from Mom and Dad."

Tobio crosses his arms and widens his stance, bracing himself for whatever bullshit is coming his way.

"Well, say what you have to say and then go. Or you could just go. Makes no difference to me."

"You don't have to be rude, Tobio."

"Fine. Just tell me. I'm supposed to be working."

"They want you to come to dinner tomorrow night."

"Why would they do that?"

"They want you to come home." The words drop like lead and Tobio's breath catches. Of all the things he imagined his sister might say, that had to be the least likely.

"We've been over this. I'm not mating with Akemi, so I'm not coming home. That's it. There's no more to say."

"They said you don't have to mate with Akemi." For the second time, Tobio is stunned. He stares at his sister, trying to process the words that sound so foreign and so unlike his parents that he might as well have just heard that they also said "money means nothing" or "all people are created equal." The idea is just so incongruent with the image and idea of his parents, that Tobio can't actually believe it.

He starts to laugh.

Miwa looks annoyed. "Tobio, it's true. They want you to come home and they said that you don't have to bond with Akemi. They want to discuss it with you over dinner."

"You're serious," Tobio says, finally understanding that no, this conversation is not some cruel, ill-planned joke.

"Yes."

"Why? Why do they want me to come back?"

"To take your place in the company. They are worried about its future."

"Ha, that sounds about right," Tobio says, hurt again that his parents care more about the company than their own flesh and blood. It still stings, even though he swore he wouldn't let his family make him feel small and unimportant anymore.

"And... and they miss you."

This again has Tobio's eyes wide. This whole conversation is surreal. His sister cannot be talking about their parents. It's all just so bizarre and out of character.