Chapter 20: Pups

By the time they get to the hospital, Tobio is pale and sweating from fright. Shoyo is fine, feeling only mild cramping. They get all the paperwork done and settled into a room. Tobio is plumping pillows and asking Shoyo every five minutes if he's okay.

Shoyo says yes at first, but after a couple of hours, the pain worsens and Shoyo is now moaning with pain at each contraction. The nurse notices his growing discomfort.

"Are you going to try to deliver naturally, Kageyama-san? You can opt for a c-section at any time, you know. It's very likely you'll need one anyway."

"No," says Shoyo. "I want to do this naturally if I can." Another contraction hits and he stuffs down a wail.

Tobio is beside himself watching Shoyo in pain. There's nothing he can do and he feels so helpless. All he can do is watch and listen.

A few more hours pass and Tobio is pale now, not with fright, but with the torture of listening to Shoyo's grunts of pain. It is too much. He wishes he could take the pain on himself, to be the one to go through this ordeal. He hates being so helpless when his omega is in need. He drops his head in his hands and tries not to scream in frustration.

Shoyo is getting another big contraction and Tobio places a soothing hand on Shoyo's arm. He is shocked at what comes next.

Shoyo starts yelling at him. "Don't you touch me you mother fucker! You're the fucking reason I'm here right now!"

Tobio uses his most soothing voice. "Hey, babe, try to calm down."

"Calm down? You want me to calm down? You try pushing god damn pup out of your ass!"

Tobio is stunned. He turns to the nurse who just shrugs. She's seen it before.

Now poor Tobio really doesn't know what to do with himself. He can't comfort his mate – apparently he is persona non grata for being the father – although the logic is a little twisted. He can't touch Shoyo and apparently any time he talks, he's going to be shushed now. Well what the fuck is he supposed to do now?

Another few hours pass by with only the sound of Shoyo's grunts, moans and eventually wails. Tobio is beside himself with worry and powerlessness. The minutes tick by. He stands up. He sits down. He paces. He looks out the window, unseeing. He sits back down and finally dares to ask, "Do you need anything, babe? What can I do?"

To Tobio's relief, Shoyo turns to him, sweat plastering his orange hair to his forehead, his eyes glossy, and he reaches out a hand that Tobio gladly takes. Tobio tries not to cry.

"Tobi, I don't think I can do this."

"It's gonna be okay, Sho. If you need a c-section. That's okay too. Lots of omega males need them."

"I know. But I wanted to be a good mom from the start." Tears escape from the corners of Shoyo's eyes. Tobio reaches over to wipe them.

"This has nothing to do with being a good mom, babe."

Shoyo reluctantly nods, but then another contraction comes and he squeezes Tobio's hand so tightly that Tobio winces.

Soon after the doctor comes in. She introduces herself, inspects the chart, and has a quiet discussion with the nurse.

"Kageyama-san, I'm afraid the birth is not progressing. I think it's time to do a c-section. We want a healthy mother and healthy pups."

Shoyo begins to cry in earnest and he squeezes Tobio's hand again.

"Okay," he agrees reluctantly.

"We'll get you prepped for surgery. Your pups will be in your arms within an hour."