Chapter 18: Mated Life

The first thing Hinata does after his heat is over is to call his mother to tell her he and Tobio were mated.

As expected, mama Hinata cries. She blubbers on the phone for a good ten minutes saying congratulations and how happy she is. Then she asks to talk to Tobio and does the whole thing over again, with the addition of warnings that he'd better take good care of her son.

All Shoyo can hear him say is, "I intend to. The best. He's everything to me."

They agree to come for a family dinner in a few days when they are off from work.

The next thing Shoyo does is to text Akaashi and Kenma with the news. They bombard his phone with message after message. Shoyo figures Bokuto and Kuroo will know within minutes, so he won't have to tell them at work.

Shoyo notices that Tobio doesn't have any family or friends to make aware of his news, and he feels distraught again at his mate's loss of family. But maybe, just maybe, Tobio and Miwa can make amends. Shoyo vows to encourage it.

Several hours later they emerge from their apartment and walk to the Wingless Crow. They are trying to get there a bit early to catch their friends and share the news before opening time.

When they reach the bar, they find Daichi and Suga both behind the bar. They are close together and appear to be talking quietly. When they notice the pair entering, Daichi backs away.

"Welcome back you two. Everything okay?"

"Better than okay," Shoyo exclaims as he nears the older couple.

When he and Tobio are close enough, Suga looks at them expectantly, waiting for further explanation, but when Shoyo doesn't speak, Suga searches his face, and then his neck, for clues.

"Oh, my God! You bonded! I'm so happy for you!"

Daichi turns around and also notices the new permanent marks on both the alpha and the omega. "Oh, wow. That's great guys! Congratulations!"

"Thanks," Shoyo says, hugging Tobio around the waist.

"This calls for a celebration!" Suga proclaims. "Tonight after close. We'll all stay to have some drinks."

"Sounds great. Thanks, Suga."

Minutes later, Kuroo and Bokuto come bounding into the bar, full of energy. "Kageyama! Hinata! Congratulations! That's so great."

"Thanks, guys."

Suga chimes in, "We're going to stay a while after close and have a few drinks to celebrate. Are you in? Please invite your mates."

"Yes, definitely!" Bokuto says, louder than necessary, as usual.

They go about their routine without much change, except Tobio seems to be especially observant of Shoyo's whereabouts and surroundings. He supposes he is more tuned in, now that Shoyo is his mate, and it should be expected, but it still feels a little strange to him. He supposes he'll get used to it.

Akaashi and Kenma stroll in around eleven o'clock and take their normal place at the bar, prying Shoyo for as many details as the redhead is willing to give. At closing time, Daiichi locks up and Suga is already pouring drinks, on the house, for the celebration.

"To Hinata and Kageyama! Or wait, are you changing your name, Hinata?"

"Yes, it's Kageyama Shoyo now." He smiles at his mate, who places a quick kiss on his forehead.

"To Shoyo and Tobio!" Suga toasts.

They all drink, except for Suga, who just hugs Daichi and watches everyone chug their drinks. He also gets everyone a second drink, except himself. This, Shoyo notices.