Chapter 2: Into the Woods

"Are you ready for the next expedition, Y/n?" Ford asked the little girl beside him, who beamed with excitement. She quickly grabbed her own backpack, which was smaller than Ford's.

Ford opened the door for Y/n, and the two of them stepped out into the cool morning air. Y/n even exaggerates, inhaling so forcefully that she almost chokes in the air.

This time, Ford walked to the right after locking the front door. He figured a change of scenery would be nice after taking the left path the day before and the day before that. The girl followed him as he trekked down a different path. "So, Ford, where are we going?"

"Wherever the woods will take us, Y/n."

***

PLAY THEME SONG

***

Indeed, the woods had taken them everywhere. They were fortunate that these areas of the forest had not yet been discovered. A whole new mystery to explore.

Y/n heard a ruffle in the tall bushes as their feet trudge along the leafy trail. Ford, too, heard it and stopped walking, turning to follow the sound.

Ford crept closer, tiptoeing, and Y/n watched. He pushed away the leaves, alerting a... gnome.

It walked with its little arms animatedly stretched out. It smiled at them with crooked teeth.

Y/n and Ford approached the creature in a friendly manner. Ford took out the journal and basically interviewed it while the girl used a tape measure to measure its height, weight, width, and depth.

"Fascinating," Ford said after jotting down the pertinent details on his pages. "So, what was your name again?"

"Shmebulock," the gnome had groaned out. "SENIOR!"

"Where are the rest of your folks, mister Shmebulock?"

"Shmebulock."

"Right... You are Shmebulock. Don't you have a family? Any gnome friends?"

"Ford?" the girl said, amusingly raising an eyebrow at his weird phrasing.

The gnome remained smiling, walking away. "Shmebulock!"

"I guess it only says Shmebulock over and over..." Ford stood back up and tucked the journal away again.

They had unintentionally led themselves into a dark area of the woods. It was densely forested, almost completely covering the sky. Only a few rays of sunlight were able to pass through, and they miraculously shone through a massive crystal, reflecting in two different colors: blue and pink.

In seconds, a tiny beetle had entered the blue spotlight and grown to become a massive beetle. Because of how large and heavy it was, the ground almost shook. Its limbs sprouted from microscopic to life-size in size. Y/n and Ford stood there in awe.

A roar could be heard from behind the trees, and a large panther emerged, ready to pounce on the two travelers. Ford instinctively shoved Y/n behind him and shielded her, ready to confront the carnivore, but the mammal jumped through the pink light and shrank instantly.

Of course, Ford had scribbled it in his book, doodling what it would look like.

"Cool drawing," Y/n retorted from beside him before walking a few steps forward. She decided to leave Ford to doodle more in his space. She took a look around,having never been in this part of the forest before. She had no idea that Gravity Falls was a big place.

She was looking down at the plants and flowers when she noticed something familiar. "Ooh!"

"What is it?" It seemed that Ford was done with his entry. "What did you find?"

"This looks like the mushroom I ate when I was younger; actually, I ate a lot of mushrooms, but... this one left quite a taste." Y/n held a gleaming purple mushroom. The cap had resembled a brain.

"Based on my observations, a person may experience side effects according to which particular type of mushroom is consumed.". You said you've eaten this?" Ford referred to the brainy fungi in his hand.

She nodded innocently.

"Then, based on the shape of this mushroom, your intelligence level could have been greatly influenced." Ford pondered with his pointer and thumb on his chin until an idea formed in his mind. "Collect as many different mushrooms as you can." Y/n dispersed and pulled out a couple of mushrooms, gathering two handfuls. "Good job. Now, let's test these on 'ol Shmebulock Sr. back there." He winked at her, earning a laugh.

They spent hours experimenting with the assorted mushrooms. Fortunately, Shmebulock agreed to do it with a "Shmebulock" response; they don't know whether it was a yes or no Shmebulock, but he didn't run away, so everything was Shmebulock- they mean good.

And what are the chances that the last mushroom Y/n handed to Shmebulock was the mushroom that would undo everything? Every side effect seemed to have subsided, and he appeared normal. "Shmebulock!" exclaimed the gnome before continuing on his merry way.

Y/n and Ford exchanged stares until the man shrugged carelessly. "He seemed fine." Little did the two travelers know that he and his next of kin would grow to puke rainbows for generations.

As the day turned to night, the two decided to continue their exploration the next day. This will continue for the next few years, just as Y/n anticipated and Ford hoped. For all the mysteries Gravity Falls has to offer, his curiosity rivaled that of an immortal jellyfish, Turritopsis dohrnii. This could go on indefinitely!

With a yawn, Y/n gladly welcomed sleep. She sleeps on the couch because Ford didn't expect to meet a companion on his adventure. A bed would also take up unnecessary space. She didn't mind, telling him that the couch was the most comfortable bed she'd slept in since leaving the cold, grassy land.

"Good night, Ford," Y/n mumbled before succumbing to exhaustion. Ford realized at this point that she was, in fact, human. She can be tired and hungry just like a human. Her only distinguishing feature was her inability to feel pain.

The man pulled the blankets up to her chin with a small smile, and he swears he saw a small smile form before retreating to his own bedroom. Immediately upon entering, he retrieved his journal and placed it on his work desk.

Ford, like Y/n, was a human being. And he's a tired human at the moment. Nonetheless, he continued to write another entry in his journal, recounting his experiences and expressing his emotions. His cursive handwriting was neat and formal as the tip scratched against the pages.

He rubbed his eyes as a yawn escaped through his lips. He blinked for a bit before closing his journal. He couldn't help but let a smile appear as he gazed at the number 1 inked there. One. It's a start.

***

CONTINUES IN CHAPTER 3!

kimmiepines
originally published: july 2, 2022
1079 words

1-0-3-15-13-16-1-14-9-15-14-?