Chapter 16: Bros Before Dinos

Working at the Mystery Shack is no laughing matter. At least, that's what Stan says all the time when all they do is make tourist jokes. Y/n was at the museum, finishing up an attraction that will undoubtedly impress the crowd. It was Stan's idea, so she's perplexed as to why she's the one making it rather than him.

So there she was, accompanied by a plethora of bags of corn cobs that she had individually attached to a mesh model of a horse's carcass. She had just finished the 'Cornicorn' (Stan's idea, not hers) hindquarters when she noticed a pig- Mabel's pig- entering from the gift shop. He was wearing a red sweater with the ball of yarn still trailing off behind him.

The hog approached her slowly and sweetly. "Waddles," Y/n said as he moved in front of her. She was curious about Mabel's whereabouts because they are practically attached at the hip all the time. "Want one?" She asked when she noticed Waddles' fixated gaze on the corn in her hands.

Waddles oinked in approval and she tossed the corn to the other direction, preferably away from the Cornicorn if the swine favored the starchy vegetable. Y/n had finished the horn part when she'd turn around and saw Stan coming down. "Are you done?"

"You don't rush an artist," Y/n playfully chided. "But I'm almost done."

Stan hummed, admiring how it was all coming out. "Good thing you didn't run out of corn. I made sure I bought enough bags."

"Too bad. Could've given the rest to good 'ol Waddles over there." Y/n nodded towards the pig at the corner staring at them.

The older man groaned. "Ugh, just as I thought I could escape this pig, he just turns up everywhere I go!"

Y/n was tightening the wires around the cob when she wondered, "What's it doing down here without his best friend, anyway?"

"Eh, Mabel went out to get a huggy tummy or something and wanted me to watch over him. As if! He's a monster to deal with!"

She laughed at his irritability towards innocent little Waddles. "Oh come on, Stan," Y/n cooed, lifting Waddles to her chest. "He's just a pig, but Mabel loves him. If you love your niece, then you have to love things and animals she loves too."

Stan didn't say anything, but she knew that he was internally rolling his eyes in both disgust and annoyance. Eventually, a tour bus honked its horn, announcing its arrival. "Okay, get out of here. I have tourists to tour around."

"Sure you do," she said. She was about to bring Waddles to the ground when Stan stopped her.

"Hey, take the pig with you!"

She stared at him before bringing Waddles back to her arms. The ball of yarn was also tucked in her elbows. "Okay?"

"Don't let it wander around the gift shop or the museum. Understood?"

Y/n rolled her eyes. "Sure, fine."

She took a small flight of stairs from the museum to the gift shop with Waddles in her arms. He was thrashing around a bit before deciding to munch on her daisy necklace. "Hey, hey," she commented. "It's not an edible flower, stop." She brought him back to the floor and he stared at her.

Leaning down in front of Waddles' face, she brought her voice down in a whisper. "As much as you want to eat this, I made this necklace indestructible with a secret recipe," she winked. "You're so cute when you don't have any idea I just said," Y/n pinched Waddles' cheeks before walking away to get herself a drink.