Chapter 6: I Just Got Him Back

She was heavily breathing as she adjusted her gaze to her surroundings. She became aware that she was in Ford's room and in his bed. The dark, heavy curtains draped over the windows, preventing any light from entering. Despite the darkness, she could see that Ford's room was completely cluttered, as one would expect from someone like him. He used to be very organized, but due to the portal project, he became so engrossed in his various tasks that he neglected to clean. He can remember where he had placed a specific item the previous time.

Y/n was curious as to how long she had been sleeping. The last thing she remembered was doing the test with Ford and F, but she had no idea if it had been successful because her memory had become hazy since then. She didn't want to think about it anymore because her mind always went blank when she tried to recall that moment.

She tried to search for a nearby calendar, or anything. Is Ford still even in Gravity Falls? He wasn't here when she woke up. Was the portal test successful and he's already on his way to tell the world about his groundbreaking theory? Did he just up and leave without waking her up or saying goodbye?

Finally standing up from the bed, she told her quick-beating heart that no, he couldn't do that. He wouldn't just throw away all their time together. She could deduce from the faint light seeping in through the curtains that it's day outside, but she still couldn't tell what day it was since the test.

Still, she remembered that her birthday was a week after the test. She was about to turn thirteen. She may already be thirteen now or even older. But it wouldn't be a birthday without celebrating it with her closest friend.

She slowly pushed open the door and took a look around. The corridors were dark, and it appeared that the room across from her was unoccupied and basically abandoned. She assumed F had left once the portal test was completed. She frowned at the prospect of not being able to celebrate the achievement with the two of them, but her heart was filled with hope at the prospect of Ford and F reuniting as close classmates.

"Ford?" she called out to nothing. She wanted to give it a try, maybe he'd shout back.

Y/n walked out to the living room, and it had changed drastically. Gone were the stacks of calculations and blueprints of the portal. The floor was bare, but there was still the occasional dust and dirt, hinting that the room wasn't cleaned for months now. She couldn't even remember the last time anyone cleaned this place. Walking to the kitchen, she was surprised to see so many coffee pots and mugs. What was he doing with this much coffee? Is he pushing himself over a new project again?

"Ford!" she shouted again. "It's my birthday! I don't know if it still is, but we can still celebrate! A belated birthday party or something!" Where is he?

Perhaps he was in the portal room? She retraced her steps and found herself in the elevator; she remembered riding this thing up and down all the time, with the shrunken up portal parts. The height-changing crystal had its advantages. She stepped inside the elevator, which opened to a dark hallway. The portal remained intact. The surveillance room remained. There had been no change.

He wasn't in the upper ground, attic, or portal room, either. So she went to the only other location she knew he'd be.

Returning to the elevator, she pressed the number two button, and the mechanism lifted her up to the second level of the basement's second level. The elevator door opened. It was red and gold, and when she touched the knob, it was cold.

"Ford? " she said as she entered the dimly lit room. She noticed Ford slouched on the chair in one corner, which was surrounded by candles. He appeared to be writing something with zeal. "Ford! It's my- birthday..." she'd trailed off when she heard him mumble incoherently.