chapter sixteen

I hoped no one was home. 

Ezra turned the wrecked motorcycle into the driveway and we coasted to a stop as the engine simultaneously died. He set down his feet and then I slipped off the seat from behind him. Both of our gazes were flitting from window to window of the house in an attempt to gauge if anyone was home. It would be easier if there wasn't, we could just slip in and fix my arm up before anyone freaked out. 

My wish was ignored.

The moment we walked in the front door, Mikeal's head turned. He was sitting in the kitchen, previously working on his laptop, but his expression went pale with shock as he took in the sight of us. He looked like he might pass out until he stood up. 

Ezra and I were frozen in the doorway, as if we were kids again, and we had been caught painting on the walls by our parents. We had done that, by the way, and Dad was so angry for months. We might not have gotten along that well as kids or teenagers, but when Ezra and I decided to get up to no good--the mischief was marvelous.

"What happened?"

Our oldest brother was appalled, and he couldn't even hide it because his tone of voice told us we were in trouble--even though we were all grown adults. His blue gaze was sharp and concerned at the sight of me. I had shifted my arm behind me so that it wasn't on full display, but it did little to help.

Neither of us answered him. Ezra and I exchanged a glance, his jaw clenching, and then Mikeal's hand fell on my opposite shoulder. I nearly jumped because he had moved without a noise.

"Jordyn, let me see," he demanded.

"No, it's fine," I protested, slipping my arm further behind me, "He took care of it."

Mikeal didn't listen. He rarely got angry but when his eyes turned towards Ezra, I saw fury. "How could you let this happen?"

At this, Ezra spoke. "I didn't let it happen," he snapped with equal fury at Mikeal's accusation, his tone darkening as his shoulders tensed, "There was a dog and I swerved... it was an accident."

Mikeal exhaled, seemingly avoiding a fight, and his eyes flickered back to me. "I should have never let you go, I knew better."

"I'm perfectly fine, alright?" I didn't intend for my voice to be as sharp as it was but I continued, "Accidents happen, they can't always be prevented. I got a scratch, I'll live. Please stop acting like I'm in a hospital bed right now, and quit blaming Ezra when it wasn't his fault." I waved my palm in said brother's direction. 

In what world did I find myself defending Ezra? 

My thoughts paused as a small frown set on my lips. Why wasn't he defending himself? I turned my head slightly, he was silent but his jaw was clenched. The Ezra I knew would defend himself until his dying breath because that's just how his temper was, but now he wouldn't. 

Then, it hit me. 

He blamed himself for what happened. 

By no means was he to blame for the accident, and I opened my mouth to tell him so, but I was interrupted by laughter outside and footsteps approaching the front door. The twins were home. I had no idea where they had gone while Ezra and I were out, but they both walked in with stupid grins on their faces.

"Dude, why is your bike all smashed?" Roman asked without realizing what he had walked in on and failing to take notice of anything as he kicked off his shoes. 

Julian, on the other hand, was observant and froze. "What's wrong with your arm?" 

"Nothing!" I blurted.