𝓡𝓮𝓰𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷 (𝓒𝓱𝓹𝓽. 4)

Jessica's POV:

"Two first-year students down! Just like last year. I dos this all the time with complete success!" I thought as I explained to the two newbies their responsibilities and options.

Both of them kept staring at me, listening to my every word, but only Ryan seemed to be understanding. Kashima, on the other hand. He was on guard for some reason. Maybe it was just tough to be out of his home country. It must be hard to be around so many new faces. I really hoped he decided to stay in the dorms where there were people who would look after him and answer all of his interests. It's not really my decision, though. I know that.

"Good morning Jessica. Sorry to keep you and the freshmen waiting."

"Ah, Mr. J! Let me introduce you," I said as I stood and gestured for the boys to follow.

On command, both of them imitated me straight up to the registration desk.

"This here is Ryan Selt. Go on and tell him about yourself." Ryan flushed at my interactions towards him and then turned to Mr. J and frowned slightly. I heard a chuckle behind me. 

"Don't worry, you're up next, Mr. Yuu," I whispered and then let my elbow lightly nudge him in the gut. Thanks to my shortage of height, I couldn't reach his chest. Regardless he continued to laugh. I pouted in embarrassment. "Hmph!"

The conversation between Mr. J and Ryan continued as Kashima and I toyed with each other. It was more of him toying with me. Saying and doing things just to get on my nerves. He even pinched my upper arms a couple of times as payback for nudging him. 

"Okay. Thank you, sir!" I heard Ryan say. 

Just like that. For the first time. I missed a whole registration process for a freshman because I was goofing off with another student. 

I sort of glared at Yuu, letting him know that he was next. I then turned to Ryan and wished him a farewell, "I hope to see you again sometime!" I waved and turned my attention back to Mr. J.

"This is Yuu Kashima. He said he was from abroad."

Yuu stood straight in seriousness. Mr. J put a hand under his chin. "Hmmm... It sounds Japanese, so that means your names would be backward in our country, right?"

"Your correct, sir. I guess I should start introducing myself as Kashima Yuu during my time here."

"Do what you see fit but make sure you clear up any misunderstandings about your name if there are ever any. Have you decided what clubs you want to join?"

Yuu turned to me and looked me in the eyes. He was asking for guidance with his eyes, and he obviously had another question he wanted to ask. It was like he just didn't know how to put it yet. Mr. J and I understood and let him think for a moment. Eventually, he spoke.

"I do plan on joining your photography club, but I was just wondering whether or not I can join more than one?"

Mr. J burst into laughter, shocking both me and Kashima. "Mr. Yuu, this fine young lady next to you is a part of nearly all of the extracurriculars and clubs, and yet she is only falling behind in one class. As far as I'm concerned, if you're sure you can handle it, join in on as much as you want." he continued to laugh as Kashima looked and me with curiosity in his eyes.

"It's true," I smiled at him, "I could tell you about it sometime if you stay on campus."

I wanted to try and persuade him to stay on campus with something. It was glued to me that he was in America alone. I mean, there is always the possibility that he has someone and somewhere to go, but there is also the chance that that's not the case. What if he gets lonely or scared on his own. If he stayed, the school would be sure to shelter him, and I know I would take good care of him.

I rubbed my cheeks with both my palms. With a few blinks, the conversation and registration process came to a close. 

"Jessica, can you please guide Kashima here to the room across from yours?"

I nodded calmly at the request. Mentally, I was having a blast as I knew he would be close. 

Wait, but why do I care so much?

Readying myself to guide Kashima to his dorm, I was about to open the door when he suddenly felt like being a gentleman. 

"After you," he bowed like a butler. 

I smiled a thanks and walked past him. I then noticed his puppy-like appearance and personality. He was so ready and willing to follow me around. Just like a puppy. 

How cute!

In 10 minutes, our destination was within reach. We made it into the dorm building, but I stopped him in the lobby. I turned to scan him and everything he was carrying—nothing much besides the handbook and a few other school papers. I smirked.

"What idea did you just come up with, shortie?" he joked. 

I balled my hands into fists and put them at my sides as I fumed. "I'm not that short, you know! Five-foot three to be exact!" I huffed.

He just laughed. He laughed some more. And some more until finally calming it into a broken "That's still six inches *wheeze* shorter than me." Again he burst into laughter.

I flipped my hair as my mood shifted once more as I side-eyed him. 

"Well then, with all that laughter, I bet you can't even beat me up the steps." I challenged.

"Really?" He said in a mocking and sarcastic tone.

"Really."

"Let's see it then. But is it okay for us to race up such a narrow stairway, and what floor are we stopping at?"

"Of course it is. I always race at least one newbie up the steps. And we are stopping at the second floor."

"Then I'm ready," he smirked, ready to go.