Chapter 1: A peaceful start

The Garreg Mach Monastery is peaceful in the morning.

There is still a pale, transparent mist covering the early morning of the day, sending a tiny, shivering cold to her spine. Rays of sunlight weakly shine through the atmosphere, preparing for another day in the Monastery. Lynden can even hear small chirpings coming from birds around the place. She sees some people were already awoken up and hears faint footsteps from afar, ready for their jobs at the Church and the Academy.

It's still too early in the morning for a proper meal, let alone any training. Lynden guesses the cooks are still making soup to serve them, with some cold meats for breakfast. She has never preferred the food, the thought of those meals alone makes her stomach churn. But sometimes, it's good, based on her preferences, perhaps.

(She's reminiscing the taste of her uncle's meals. The curry she made was deep, earthy with savory spices, even though Lynden hated chicken meat specifically, but still, she's longing for the warm chicken soup whenever the two sisters felt hungry on a dark, freezing winter when it bore its teeth, howls came from the chilling wind that would occasionally bang at their windows. They didn't mind it though. Along with their uncle, joyous waves of laughter at the dinner table, talking about other things on those nights.

How long is it? Lynden hasn't seen her sister for years. She has been busy with work, with her tasks as a Knight, serving under the Order and the Archbishop. The humble, gentle squire many years ago now has turned into a tall, stoic knight. Ever since then, Cassandra and her barely give out letters to each other. The last time they talked was when Lynden announced her sister's scholarship in the Academy, two weeks prior. She's expressing how much happiness when she knew her sister and her would reunite, and how her sister would further her study when she came to the Monastery. Her year will start three months from now on. The sooner she comes to the Monastery, the better. Lynden wants the kid to adapt to life here at this place so she won't feel alienated.

Lynden's still waiting for the reply.)

Being a knight is a tiring job. She tries her best for her sister, and prioritizes Cassandra's future above anything. Lynden is the main source of income for the family. Ever since her mother's death, with her father's sudden disappearance, things changed. Her uncle and his carpenter's job could help them live through the day. The family's money was slowly running out. That led to Lynden stopped her study as a wood sculptor to become a knight. Sometimes, when she looks back at it, a part of her regrets the decision she made. But this does pay well. It's enough.

However, it's still stressing her out, draining her energy sometimes with some nights Lynden stays up late because of the paperwork. So, these tranquil dawns were so refreshing, feel like small prizes after work, she cherishes it.

Clearing her mind just a little bit, she stretches her back out and inhales deeply. Her hand feels a little numb, yesterday she made a mistake when practicing, leading to a scene where the sword of her training partner hit hard right on her forehand. And the rest of the day was her wincing when doing her paperwork. It's getting better now, although it's still shaking a bit.

Sunlight suddenly shines right at her eyes making her flinch. Lynden yelps silently, closing her eyes from the brightness. Ah, so the mist is gone. She can see the sky more clearly as she opens her eyes again, a flock of birds flies past the church just now. The warmth of the sun hits her in the face once again, this time gentler than the last. She is getting used to it now.

Out of the corner of her eye, she can see a hint of the colors blue and green from that person. By the time she recognizes who is that, Lynden turns her head to look.

There stands a benevolent figure, who seems to be enjoying the morning upon the Goddess Tower, like a reptile that will lie on a hot rock that is heated by the sun for an entire morning. Lynden hardly has any interactions with the archbishop, only stole some small glances and looks in the past, and some small talks about missions. But there is something about that woman that makes her so fond of many fleeting talks between them. And sometimes she wakes up sooner than the others, wandering the empty hallways of the Monastery, that's when she can see the person that causes butterflies to fly in her stomach. This is one of those times.