Chapter 2: Rain

The sky is overcast, its piercing wind blows, howling like a starved beast, sending chills to Lynden's spine, snapping her out of her drowsiness. Lynden sits straight up on her horse, shaking her head barely to stay awake, and aware of her surroundings. She shouldn't have drunk that much coffee last night, she has been yawning constantly at the start of this mission.

Her team, which consists of five people, was given the task to go and escort a supplies cart, and protect it from the bandits. 'These bandits are active lately, she must stay vigilant', Lynden tells herself as she stifles a yawn that forms in her mouth, her eyes wander around to check.

It's going to rain soon. She thinks, watching as the dark clouds above their heads haltingly trail. Flocks of birds are gliding, flapping their wings around, seeking a place to shelter before the rain starts to pour. It's so ominous to her, in her head she wishes that this mission will turn out to not be as messy as the last mission she was in.

(She and her group managed to do a wonderful job to some extent. Still, they came back, trailing mud with every step they made, some have several small injuries, liked cuts and bruises, however the others? Not so much. Some broke their hand, some lost their legs, Elias broke his leg, and Lynden lost her ability to sit or stand straight up. As if she stretched her back enough her entire spine would snap into half.

Her body felt like it had been run over by a bull. That bulky thief literally charged toward her when she focused on shooting the arrows, brutally rammed her to a tree. She could swear she felt her back snapped to two back then, it hurt like hell. Luckily for her, one of her teammates came to help, and the two succeeded to beat the bandit. Unfortunately, the guy that saved her lost two of his teeth.)

And now with the sleepiness that follows her today, she scares that she won't perform well at the task at hand. The last time she lost her vigil was enough for the Knight. She will stay cautious this time. She proudly thinks, her eyes shine with determination.

After all, she isn't good at combat, that much.

Then Lynden yawns again.

"Are you alright, Lyn?" Elias asks, trotting his horse closer to her.

"Yeah..." She nods, "I'm just a little tired from yesterday, shouldn't have drunk that too much coffee..."

"Better try to stay up the whole day, man." Elias shrugs his shoulders, a tint of concern in his voice, "We don't want to repeat the last scenario we were in, do we?"

"Of course."

Lynden retorts dryly, scanning her eyes around to find the cart that they need to escort from afar. According to the map, they are almost there. Now if the road back is peaceful like this (maybe some drizzling rain, she won't mind.), she will return to the Monastery pretty soon and enjoy the beautiful sleep she craves for.

The team rides along with the road, estimating when they will arrive. They started as soon as the sun appeared in the East, hurried on their road to finish their mission before night. The gloomy mood in the sky only makes them ride their horses faster and faster to the meeting point.

From afar they search, scan their eyes all over the plain field and the bumpy road, looking for that damn cart. The sky is somber, and darkened, causing the search to become more miserable for them, combines with the rain that is about to pour down their head any second now, they become alarmed more and more.

And...that is the cart! Finally! Placed there idly with the rider, who's waiting for them, waving at them expectedly.

The man, who is in charge of it, is a rather patient man. Her team is a little bit late than estimated, but he still shows no sign of frustration, rather calmly greets them with a smile. Lynden hops down from her horse, shakes the rider's hand, and greets him, while her team goes and examines the cart. He seems like a warm man, too.