Chapter 42

Dear diary,

I am stuck inside my room...AGAIN! First, it's been raining for four days. The water in the lake rose but it didn't get near our house. Then, when the sun has shone itself behind the dark clouds on the fifth day, my papa didn't allow me to get out for it is muddy outside. And they are all busy in preparing the house for a party. Almost every week there's a party that's being held in our house. But it doesn't make me happy nor excited. Because like rainy days I am not allowed to go out.

Mama said not to go out nor to even take a peek on the stairs every time there's a party in our house. She said that it is forbidden for me to be seen by the guests because little girls like me are not allowed in grown-ups party. I will play and eat inside my room until it's time for me to sleep while I could hear the loud voices of men chattering with the sound of classical music.

So yeah, I am here again locked up inside while I am tired of playing with my dolls and doll house. I wanted to step outside and feel the soft ground underneath the soles of my shoes. I wanted to smell the breeze that was coming from the mountains and scented with the fresh smell of pines and with the hint of the sweet smell of flowers.

I wanted to dance in the gazebo and lay my papers and crayons and I will draw the places that I wanted to visit. But most of all. I wanted to see the boy with the moss green eyes that I am forbidden to speak to.

But I really like to see him. It is not like, I like him! I am too young. It is just I feel sad for him because he lost his family and he has to work for us.

I saw him this morning while I was peeking on my window. He was picking flowers for my mama. She always put fresh flowers inside our house. I saw he wore his new shirt. My mama and I picked that for him when we went to the city called Manila outside Cross Pines. It suits him. It is my first time that I was able to go out of the house and in a far away place too. I am not allowed to go outside. I can go anywhere inside and outside the house but never outside dirt road. It is like talking to the young boy. It is forbidden.

Sigh...I am so bored now. I really wanted to speak with someone.

Napabuntong-hininga si Shiloh at inalis niya ang kaniyang mga mata mula sa pahina ng diary ni Estelle na binabasa. At iniangat niya iyun para tingnan ang kaniyang driveway.

"Pareho tayo ng nararamdaman," ang kaniyang bulong sa sarili. Katulad ni Estelle ang kaniyang nararamdaman sa sandaling iyun. Somehow, she too felt like being trapped inside her house but it was not like with Estelle that she was forced to do so by her parents. Siya sa sandaling iyun ay dahil sa sitwasyon na kaniyang kinalalagyan at sa sitwasyon na kaniyang pinili.

Oo, puwede niyang lisanin ang Cross Pines anumang oras niya naisin, pero, tulad ng kaniyang sinabi na hindi siya aalis ng Cross Pines hanggang sa hindi niya kasama sina Oslo at Heaven. Alam niyang may pumipigil dito at iyun ang kaniyang aalamin. Kasama na rin ng pagtulong niya sa mga bata at kay Dorothy, ang giit niya sa kaniyang sarili.

"Nasaan ka na?" ang bulong niya sa hangin. Habang nakaupo siya sa tuktok ng hagdan. At sa kaniyang mga hita ay nakapatong ang diary ni Estelle na kanina pa niya binabasa. Wala pa siyang nabasa na kukuha ng kaniyang interest. Yung magbibigay sa kaniya ng clue patungkol sa nangyayari sa Cross Pines. It was a typical everyday journal of a girl na namumuhay na kasama ng mga magulang nito. Ang mga araw na masaya ito sa paglalaro, pagpipinta, at pagpapalipas ng oras nito sa gazebo na kasama ang mama nito o kaya naman ay mag-isa lamang itong nakaupo sa gazebo habang abala ito sa pag-aaral. Nalaman niya na home schooled si Estelle at lumalabas lamang ito ng bahay kung magtutungo lamang ito sa hardin o di kaya sa gazebo. Ngunit kung kinakailangan na lumabas ang pamilya para magtungo sa Villareal ay laging kasama nito ang mga magulang at hindi umaalis ang mag-iina na sila lamang na dalawa. Palaging kasama ng mga ito ang ama na si Mr. Carlito Cross.