26. Deer in Headlights part 2.

CHRIS

Later that night, after the kids had gone to bed and we had finished cleaning up, Anna and I arrived at my hotel room. With her parents staying over, her place was quite crowded and we needed privacy. The mood was a bit stiff, but she kissed me as soon as we walked through the door. I had to firmly remind myself that I wanted to talk to her before doing anything else. She seemed anxious and bounced around the place for a while like a manic Mickey Mouse on crack. After checking out the room she calmed down a bit and stopped in front of the minibar. "This place is lovely. Should we get a drink?"

"That sounds good. But can we talk first?"

"Of course. What's on your mind?"

"I know I asked before, but we're alone now, so... Can you tell me what's going on between you and Joel?"

Anna groaned displeasedly and turned her back to me, picking up a bottle of wine from the minibar. "Ugh, not this again. It's..."

"Nothing. I know. Fuck, I'm stupid." I sighed as she turned to face me again and placed the bottle on the table.

"What?"

"You heard me. I'm a fucking fool. It's like... you say jump, I jump. You whistle and I come running and wagging my tail. And all the while, you don't give a shit. You throw out our Christmas trees like they're trash to you."

She looked puzzled. "Sorry? I didn't understand half of that. I throw out what? What's the matter with you?"

I started getting more irritated and got up. "The matter is, that I'm here, once again, trying to prove to you how fucking fantastically in love with you I am, but you treat me as nothing more than a sex toy."

She crossed her arms and squinted at me. "Don't raise your voice to me. What is this?"

"Admit it. I'm an object to you. Something you use when you feel like it, and push aside when you get uncomfortable."

"Don't be ridiculous. I don't..."

"It's the truth and you know it. It's a shame really. If I had known all you want from me is sex, we could have done it a lot sooner. 'Cause I don't wait for girls. I don't have to. But I waited for you to get your shit together. I told myself that was the only way to have all of you. But I still don't. I never will."

"You don't have to wait for girls? Wow, good for you. Weird flex, but good for you."

I started unbuttoning my shirt and the anger I felt grew, making it impossible to keep my voice down. "Don't try to make this about me! You're the one who doesn't open up to me about anything that matters. I have to force things out of you and it's exhausting! If it was just that, I could almost live with it, but just now, you lied to my face when I asked you an honest question."

"Will you stop shouting! What are you doing?"

I sat on the sofa and started pulling off my socks. "I'm taking off my clothes so we can do the one thing you think I'm good for. Tell me, how do you want it? On the chair, on the floor, in the shower? Hard and fast, just the way you like it?"

"Stop being such an ass! Jesus."

"I can do it any way you want, sweetheart. And when we're done, I'm booking myself the first fucking flight the hell out of here. Suddenly, tomorrow doesn't seem soon enough."

She grabbed her bag and stared at me. "Fuck you! I don't have to listen to this."

"That's right! You don't have to do anything you don't want to do!"

"I'm leaving, asshole!"

I turned my back to her and grabbed my shirt from the floor. "Don't let me keep you."