Chapter 16 - Walima Reception.

As it was the weekend so Aaban stayed with her only on her father's insistence. His mother had also told him to stay there and help them in their chores as he was their one and only son in law. Haneen had noticed that he always listened to his mother and that was the only good quality she had found until now.

The Reception was an amazing function and Haneen noticed that Aaban bonded exceptionally well with everyone in her family. She felt happy by the fact that atleast he was good to her family if not her, even if it was just an act.

The wedding came to an end and it was time for everyone to leave. Haneen and Aaban came back to their reality. Haneen had forgotten all her worries during her stay there. Even Aaban wasn't himself all the while there. Something had changed for him. He couldn't exactly pinpoint it but he felt something changing inside him. The rock solid Aaban Rehman Khan wasn't very much in control of himself anymore. He found himself giving in to whatever she said. He found himself listening to her more and paying attention to her. She had started occupying a place in his life even if he didn't want her to.

°°°°°°°°°

The next morning, Aaban had called her to his office to report about the ongoing project.

"How's the project coming so far? Do you need any sort of help or more people on your team?" He asked as he flipped through the pages, trying to concentrate.

She stood like a statue on one side. It seemed like she didn't even hear him. She was lost somewhere.

"Haneen?" He called her again, now looking at her but there was still the same response. She looked like she was lost somewhere.

He got up from his chair and went to stand in front of her. He shook her by her shoulders gently. "Haneen?"

She suddenly snapped out of her trance and looked at him, with a questioning look.

"What's the update on the hospital project?"

She just moved aside and flipped the pages of the file to let him have a look as she stood silently, lost in deep thoughts. Her eyes showed hurt and pain. He didn't even look at the file for once. He placed it on the table and sat at one corner, pulling her closer to himself.

"Haneen? What's wrong?" He asked, genuinely concerned this time, holding her hand and rubbing circles on the dorsum with his thumb trying to comfort her silently.

She didn't reply but just stood there with her gaze down on the floor.

"Did someone say something to you at the office? Tell me?" He asked softly as he held her by her shoulders and pulled her in between in legs, trying to make her look at him but she wasn't. Just her long lashes with tears shining on them were in his vision.

"Haneen, tell me what's wrong? What happened? How am I supposed to do anything if I don't know." He spoke as gently as he could.

"Aaban, I --" Her lips quivered. She couldn't seem to find the right words. She was again panicking.

"Yes, say it. I am listening. I am here." He assured her, making her look in his eyes.

He dragged her to the couch and made her drink water. She calmed down a little.

"Now tell me. What's wrong?" He asked, studying her very carefully, sitting in front of her.

"When I was at the hospital you know-" She sniffed. "I saw a man there. He was very old, very weak. He looked really sad and alone. He called me near him. I didn't know what to do so I went to listen to what he had to say."

"Yes. I am listening." He reassured her to go one.

She held back a cry. "He just held my hand and then he breathed his last. He died, holding my hand."

And that was enough to make her lose her control as she broke down, crying hysterically as he pulled her in his arms.

"He was so alone, so sad. None of his children or family members were with him at his last moment. He had to take support of a stranger to take his last breath." She sobbed uncontrollably. Aaban caressed her back and head as she let it all out, without saying a word.
He didn't care if he was breaking his boundary himself because right now she was too vulnerable to even realize what was happening around her. He squeezed her hand tightly, giving her a reassurance that everything would be fine.

After she relaxed a little, she pulled back and said sorry to him for acting that way.

"You have never seen anyone die before. Have you?" He asked with a painful expression on his face. She shook her head looking down.

"Life isn't easy for everyone, you know. One day we all have to leave. Nobody know when, where or how." Maybe I would be there in his place some day. He wanted to say but didn't.

He picked up his phone and texted the driver.

"Go home now. Take some rest. I have marked your day off."

"But the project?" She asked, wiping off her tears.

"I will handle it. Don't worry."

She hung her head low, feeling embarrassed for acting that way.

"Go, the driver is waiting for you." He spoke, picking up her stuff and handing it to her. He followed her down and when he was sure that she was safely there in his car, he went back to his office, sighing heavily.

This innocent and pure girl had never seen such tragedies and he silently prayed that she never did in future.