Chapter 10 - The wedding day.

The hall was decorated in reds and whites, blooming with the fragrance of roses. The path was decorated with rose petals. Everybody was waiting for the beautiful bride to make her entry. Suddenly, the lights went dim and entered a gorgeous bride in spot light, who looked no less than an angel clad in red, arm in arm with her parents on either side and her brother and future sister in law, following closely behind. These four people were the ones who had her heart. She could do anything for them and they would do the same for her without any second thought.

For a moment, Aaban's heart stopped. It felt surreal. To think that this beauty was his wife now. He looked like a puppy lost in love as he stared at her descending the stairs delicately, with a bright smile adorning her face. He stood up from his couch and reached the edge of the stage. He leaned his hand forward for her to hold. Her father placed her hand in his, silently letting her go and allowing him to take care of her for the rest of her life. They stepped back a little as Aaban tightened his hold on her hand and placed the other on the small of her back, helping her to reach the stage carefully. Her trembling hand was too small and too cold as compared to his warm and large one. The photographer clicked away all the moments as they settled on the couch in the centre of the hall with different guests coming to congratulate them. Everybody was in awe of them because if Haneen was a beauty, then Aaban was no less. He had mixed Eurasian features and had the perfect blend of them. His eyes were so beautiful that one could drown in them willingly, without looking back. He was truly a golden boy and together their pair was so beautiful that it felt hard not to be impressed by them.

After a while, the dinner was served and everybody began eating, leaving Aaban and Haneen alone on stage. Aaban was taking a few bites of the rice when he noticed Haneen uncomfortable.

"Why aren't you eating?" He asked.

"Can't." She showed him her Henna clad hands.

"Oh." He realized it.

"Here." He grabbed a spoonful and placed it in front of her mouth. She looked at him with shock but nevertheless opened her mouth as he fed her morsel by morsel and the photographer clicked away.

After the dinner, the couple was taken somewhere else for some glam shots before Rukhsati. [Bride's departure]

Finally, it was Rukhsati time. Haneen's heart dropped to her stomach. She couldn't do it.

"I can't. I can't." She kept mumbling to herself as she walked beside him, every step feeling like a thousand tons.

"Give me your hand." He asked her. She looked confused but leaned it forward. He tightly clasped his hand with hers, squeezing it and providing her with the much needed comfort. He knew exactly how to calm her down every time she panicked. Her tears were making their way out as she bid farewell to her cousins and family. First her brother came to her and hugged her tightly.

"I'll miss you, mera bacha. Meri choti si guriya. Meri toti. Meri jaan ka tukra." [My child, my little doll, my parrot, a piece of my heart.] He whispered in her ears with red eyes. He rarely showed it but he loved her very much and only when it was a reality, he had realized that his baby sister was really going away. His eyes and face was red with all the tears.

"Bhai. Aise mat karo. You know I love you. Hana hai na aapke paas." [Brother, don't do this. I love you. You have Hana.] She calmed him down, rubbing his back. It seemed like she was the elder one of the two right now. He cupped her face and kissed her head lovingly.

"Aaban, she's more precious to me than my life. Don't you dare hurt her." He warned him again and Aaban nodded, his hand still clasped in hers. He was standing there patiently as she hugged everyone. Then her father came to her.

"Meri pyaari beti. [My dear daughter.] Your baba is always here with you. Okay?"

"I know baba. You are the best dad anyone can ask for. Thankyou for everything."

Then her mother came. Haneen tightly hugged her. She hugged her the longest without any words because no words were needed between a mother and daughter. She was literally a reflection of her mother and so they both let their tears say everything.

"Aaban, meri beti ka khyal rakhna." [Take care of my daughter.] She just told him this and then settled her in the car. Aaban sat beside her and handed her the tissue box.

"Are you okay?" He asked, genuinely concerned. She just nodded, sniffing a bit.

After a short 15 minutes journey, they reached their destination. Haneen received a warm welcome from her in laws. Everybody was so friendly with her and treating her with so much love. Both of them were made to sit on the couch in the main hall as they played some games with the newly weds.

"Haneen must be tired. We should let them go now." One of the lady spoke and Haneen internally thanked her. Some of the ladies helped her get to her room upstairs with Aaban closely following behind. As they reached the room, she sat on the bed and gulped. She didn't know what to do next.

"You can change now if it's uncomfortable." Aaban spoke finally breaking the ice. She nodded.

She looked around for her luggage and pointed to a bag. Aaban handed her the bag and she took her pink silk shirt and pajamas.

"Umm. Can you call someone for help? I won't be able to take off all of this myself?" She asked him nervously.

"Let me check." He went outside and came back after a while. "I guess everybody is inside their rooms now."

"Oh." Haneen was worried now.

"Should I do it?" He offered for help.

She didn't reply but began to take off first of the many pins on her dress and hair. He leaned his hand forward and helped her with all that and collecting those pins while counting them under his breath.

"32 on your head." He spoke after a while.

Haneen looked at him amused before chuckling. She had smiled for the first time today and that too because of him.

"And dress?"

"I lost the count."

She smiled and turned her face away with a beautiful blush adorning her cheeks.

He helped her unzip the blouse as she quickly went inside the shower. She came back after a while and first, both of them offered the prayer as Aaban's mother had told them.

She settled back on the bed, a bit scared about further proceedings. What was going to happen next.

"I want to clarify a few things today itself." Aaban spoke, working on his laptop.

She looked at him curiously.

"First of all, I had no intention of getting married right now. It was all my mother's will. Secondly, now that we are married, you will be my wife on paper but don't expect me to treat you like normal husbands treat their wives. Thirdly, I will make sure to give you all the necessities but I cannot give you my love. So don't expect that from me. I don't expect anything from you either. You are free to do whatever you want, however you want. I am least interested in that. Lastly, I hate people getting into my personal space and telling me what to do. So be careful. Also, you better not behave like a typical wife in the office. Understood?"

The colour drained from her face with every sentence as she realized what had she gotten herself into. It wasn't a marriage. It was a contract. A piece of document which only meant changing her title from Miss to Missus and nothing more. She didn't know how to react or what to say. All her hopes that she had till now went down the drain and her heart twisted into several knots before cracking. It was her first heartbreak of many to come in future. She stared blankly at Aaban grabbing his pillow and laying down at the farthest corner of the bed. She quietly laid down on her side, staring at the ceiling. Sleep was far away from her. His words just kept ringing in her ears.

I cannot give you my love.

Nothing was different. Nothing had changed. And her love story had ended before even starting.