Chapter 19 - In sickness and in health

Haneen had been on complete bed rest for five days now. She wasn't getting any better even with all those medications. Aaban was so worried about her and was taking care of her like she was his little baby. He didn't know what had happened to her. She was perfectly healthy a few days ago but now when he looked at her, he barely recognised her. Her eyes had lost their sparkle. Her skin had darkened. Her eyes were burrowed deep. The eyebags were growing darker with every passing day. Her weakness was another matter. She couldn't even walk properly, without his support.

His mother had also returned now. She was sitting beside her and feeding her the soup. After she was done, she got up with the bowl.

"Nazar lag gyi hai mere pyaare se bachay ko." [It's definitely the evil eye on my beautiful daughter.] She spoke with sadness in her eyes and kissing her head, she went outside. Haneen was barely able to keep her eyes open. She felt so helpless. She felt like she was troubling them unreasonably. But there was some positivity in this as well. Aaban was closer to her. She felt at peace with him. She wanted to stay in this place for a little longer if it meant bringing Aaban closer to her.

She signalled for the washroom. Aaban helped her get up and walked her to the washroom. She entered inside as Aaban stood outside, waiting patiently.

"Are you done?" He asked.

"Uhmm." She hummed closing her eyes. She couldn't stand up even. Her legs gave away and she slumped down on the floor in one corner. Hearing the commotion, Aaban barged in.

"Haneen?" He spoke worriedly, patting her cheeks. Her eyes were half closed and her head was spinning. She felt like someone was taking away her breath and constricting her soul, like she was dying. He tried to get her up back on her feet but she wasn't cooperating at all.

"Okay. Sit here only." He said and held her by her waist from the back, picking her up in his arms. He made her stand there as she bent over the sink feeling nauseous. He grabbed her hair gently in his hand and with the other he held her close, letting her empty her stomach.

After she was done, he tightly held her by her waist and washed her face. He dried it and walked her to the wardrobe. Her clothes were all wet and she was shivering uncontrollably in his hold. He quickly opened the cupboard and took out one of his warm shirts. He quickly unbuttoned her shirt before making her wear his sweat shirt. He then made her wear some warm socks and picked her up because her condition was getting worse with every passing second. He laid her down on the bed and made her wear the socks properly. She laid down and Aaban joined from the other side. He pulled her closer to himself. She was feeling really cold now. She shivered and curled up beside him. He covered her with the blanket and rubbed her arms and hands. She had her eyes closed. Her warm breaths were caressing his body. He held her head in his hands and gave a light massage to help her sleep. He read a few supplications and blew them over her. He had already given sadqa [Charity] to ward off any evils. He was taking care of her but she wasn't getting any better. He didn't know what to do anymore. He felt like crying out loud everytime he saw her in that state. He couldn't help it anymore.

As he saw her sleeping in his arms and clutching his tightly in her hands, afraid to let him go, he wondered why she was still looking for him. He never gave her any happiness. He always made her sad and cry herself to sleep then why was she not giving up on him. Why was she constantly looking for him? It made him so mad that even after all the hurt and torture she went through because of him, she still searched for warmth in him. It was as if she knew that it was hidden somewhere deep inside him and she just had to look a little harder.

After making sure that she was relaxed, he got up and performed the ablution. He spread out the prayer mat and prayed two nafals [optional prayer] for her health and began praying.

Allah, I am ashamed to come in front of you. A sinner like me doesn't deserve to sit here and ask you for things whenever I like. But I am not here for myself today. I am here for this girl who doesn't hate me, no matter how wrong I am. I tried to push her away but she doesn't listen to me. I told her not to get involved in my mess of a life but she always does and look where it landed her. Allah, please make her healthy and happy again. She doesn't deserve to live like this. I promise I won't make her cry anymore. Just make her healthy. I don't know why she doesn't hate me after all I have done to her. Anybody else would have left by now after going through so much but she is still here. I don't think I have it in me to hurt her anymore than she already is. Please make her alright. I beg you. Please, I have never asked you of anything else. I just want you to listen to me this once.

His prayers were interrupted by her calling his name.

"Aaban." He heard her whisper in her sleep, getting restless. He folded the prayer mat and then went to her, holding her hand, letting her know that he was there only.