Chapter 2: Freak of the Cafeteria

"The Devil has come to America.

Dungeons and Dragons, at first regarded as a harmless game of make-believe, now has both parents and psychologists concerned.

Studies have linked violent behaviour to the game, saying it promotes satanic worship.

Ritual sacrifice, sodomy, suicide, and even...

MURDER"

In the bustling centre of Hawkins High School, Eddie Munson had the cafeteria alert with his eccentric presence. He sat on the edge of his seat, leg bouncing and eyes glinting as he clutched the Newsweek magazine in his hands. Where other people might have been held back by a sense of unease or mortification, Eddie Munson lacked in that area, about as untamed as some wild animal.

At the heart of the freaks, he spoke to them with an air of superiority that transcended Hawkins High.

"You know how it is Eddie, they have to blame someone," a metalhead in a thick leather jacket piped up.

The boy's head whipped around, fixing him with a maniacal stare. "Exactly."

"And I guess we're easy to blame," he continued.

"Yeah, right!" another boy said.

"Because we're the freaks," Eddie declared, his brown eyes twitching. "Because we don't want to 'fit in'. Because we like.. a fantasy game!"

He slammed his fist down on the table, denting the magazine with thick silver rings. "But you know," he said, batting his eyelashes, "as long as your into band." Munson leapt onto the table, sending peas and chips flying as he strode.

"Or science-"

"Or... parties." The mumbles had subsided and people watched Eddie Munson shout, crossing their arms and whispering to one another.

"Or a game," he shouted, "where you toss balls into laundry baskets!"

A general groan had broke out within the hall and one of the boys jumped up. "Shut it freak!"

He stuck his hands behind his head and tiptoed back along the table, ending on the floor with a flourish. "The real monster," he muttered, "is forced conformity. Its what's killing the kids!" His table chuckled in fear as he dropped into his seat, speaking quickly and quietly to them. There were a handful of misfits that sat with him, yet none so striking and captivating as Eddie. None so hated, but none so admired.

Chrissy had watched the whole thing unfold on the corner of the cheer table, chewing on a piece of raw skin around her nail. Her boyfriend was stood opposite her, still reeling after shouting at Eddie, and Chrissy offered him a small shrug when he fixed his gaze on her.

"What the fuck Chrissy."

"Jason?"

"What the fuck was that?" Jason slumped back down into the chair next to her. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"To Eddie?"

"No, to Billy Hargrove. Obviously to Eddie." At the back of the hall, Chrissy could hear Eddie speaking in low tones to the rest of his table. She turned away just before he grabbed two boys by the scruffs of their necks.

"What did you want me to say?" Chrissy sat with her legs crossed, staring across at Jason. Patrick McKinney had his eyes on her, sitting a few feet behind Jason in a protective stance.

"Anything Chris, anything. You sat there and stared at me like an airhead while Munson was tearing apart the cafeteria."

"It was kinda lame Chrissy," a girl across the table said.

"You just sit there picking at you food and never speaking," Jason continued. "Like a fucking rabbit."

"What the hell Jason?" Chrissy said, twisting her fingers under the table. She tried to relax her forehead and untangle her fingers but they stuck together. Jason put his hand on her shoulder, gently shaking her with flushed cheeks.

"No, what the hell Chrissy. Don't try and twist the blame, you don't support me anymore Chris. What happened?"

Chrissy stared back and forth from Jason to Patrick who both glared back at her, Patrick adopting a sneer. The table was silent for a moment or two then Jason peeled his hand away from her shoulder and raised his eyebrows.

"Maybe," he broke in, very slowly and very quietly, "Maybe I'll just fuck Tammy Thompson instead." The table broke into loud laughter as the boys clapped his back, and Jason tried to maintain composure without cracking under the cheers.

In the distance, a church bell struck two on the hour, and Chrissy's head dropped as Jason tapped the table roughly and made to stand up, brushing off the hands that clapped him. He scowled and turned on his heel, closely followed by Patrick.

Author's note

Lol I actually hate this idk what happened to the writing, I feel like nothing really felt interesting apart from the bit I copied from the show.

Why is Jason such a dick though like you're literally dating Chrissy wish I was you</3