Chapter 4: Dead in the Woods

Chrissy ran until her chest began to constrict and her stomach caved inwards. Jason was long gone and she had heard his car in the distance but she wouldn't stop. Every part of her kept running.

Running from Jason, but also running from her mother, from school, from her every trouble. Chrissy's face was tear stained and gaunt but she kept pushing forwards until her legs gave way beneath her and she fell to the ground. There she lay and cried, stomach empty and throat burning as she felt the rain patter down onto her clothes.

If she hadn't been found, she might've died there. Nothing in Chrissy's bruised and battered body fought to keep surviving in the icy rains. But as Chrissy lay there, half dead, she heard a twig snap far off in the distance. Somehow she found the energy to sit up and look around, but through the downpour she couldn't make out what could have been looming in the distance. All she knew was that it getting closer.

The trailer park was just half a mile down the road, but she wouldn't be able to make it there on foot, nor would she be able to shout through help through the rain. As she lay there, she wondered whether she would die now, and perhaps this was the best way to die. To die in the rain.

But then there was a distant shout and Chrissy snapped back to alertness. "Who's there?" it said.

She couldn't make out the voice, but she tried to push herself up regardless. If she was to die, it would not be at the hands of another person lurking in the woods.

"Hey wait! Hello?"

Chrissy didn't turn around, wondering instead how many times you could be chased through a forest in one day. At this point, she knew running was only killing her. Her body was heaving and her lungs barely moved as she tried to gasp for air.

"Chrissy Cunningham?" At the sound of her voice, she stopped sharp, leaning on a tree as she felt her eyelids droop. Again, her legs collapsed, but Chrissy didn't hit the ground.

Something caught her before she slipped, a pair of arms that lowered her slowly onto the ground.

"Shit. Shit shit shit." She recognised that voice, that frenzied and slightly manic voice, but she couldn't quite place it. It felt familiar, like a fresh memory. Her eyes were still heavy, and they would fill with water as soon as she opened them, so she had no choice to lie there guessing.

"Are you awake? Can you hear me Chrissy?" A forceful hand shook her shoulder and she flinched at the cold metal rings that touched her shoulders. Cold metal rings. Another piece to the puzzle, but her mind was drifting rapidly, and no sooner than had she realised that, she had forgotten what she'd realized.

Hands grabbed her own and pulled her through the mud and twigs, snagging her dress, for about two feet, before releasing her and dragging her limp body upwards. The rain had seemed to quieten, but the ground still felt sodden and it crept under her clothes onto her skin.

In the distance, Chrissy heard bells ringing. It struck eight on the hour in clashing bells that jumped over each other and shot through the air. She was too tired to wonder where they had come from, only conscious enough to realize that she'd missed her shift.

The person planted her feet on the ground, then grabbed her by the shoulders and directed her forwards. "Can you walk?" he asked, rough hands grazing her shoulders. He smelt of marijuana.

Then suddenly it came flooding back to her. The maniacal voice, the rings, the smell of weed, the trailer park. The Munson boy was here, holding her up.

"Shit Cunningham, try to walk." But Chrissy had no interest in walking with him. She needed to escape now.

His grasp was loose, and when she pulled away he dropped his hands to his sides. Eddie didn't seem to follow her when she walked, so she went slowly, peering blearily out of her eyes and dragging herself through the forest via clinging to the trees.

"You won't make it," he shouted, but she ignored him, breathing heavily as she pushed forward. From tree to tree, her mind was a blur. The world seemed to be turning on its side as she swayed, dizzy and faint. She could hear him following her now, swearing as he shook his hair out.

"You'll die out here Chrissy, just let me help you." But Chrissy refused to look around. Eddie Munson terrified her, he terrified the whole school. With his freakish club and lack of social awareness, she would not let herself get caught up with him. What would Jason say.

"Go away Eddie Munson," she murmured, before falling to the ground once more. Her eyes were dark and her face pale as she felt rain dribble into her mouth. Chrissy tried to spit it out, saliva running down the side of her face.

The last thing she remembered were arms around her, trapping her, pulling her up as she fought to escape. Or perhaps she hadn't fought it, Chrissy's mind had drifted away by then.

Author's note

Omg finally they got their meet-cute!! Lmao jk but i had to add tension its the only thing i know.

Actually twinning with Chrissy rn i feel like I'm going to die BECAUSE OF THE BLOODY HEAT HERE. At this point i'm just projecting.

I also have the fattest headache but i wanted to write this now because i have revision to do so of course that means become inspired and procrastinate everything.

Also sorry i feel like this chapter's kind of short but it the best i've got xx