Chapter 3: Tainted Love

When Chrissy returned home that evening, Jason was stood in her drive. He had his arms crossed, and he seemed distracted-almost jumpy. As she walked up to her door he stuck his arm out to cover the handle, "lets go for a drive."

"I have work."

"Not until seven Chris, it's only half five."

Chrissy stared at him. "Jason, I don't want to talk to you right now. Or ever."

"Shit Chrissy come on, I'm sorry!" He clasped his hands together and frowned at her. "I'm sorry Chris." He reached out to grab her hands, but Chrissy pulled away and turned her head.

"Just for twenty minutes. I know you're having a hard time right now and I'm sorry." He ran up to his car and pulled the door open with a beckon, giving her a hopeful smile.

Chrissy tapped her foot on the drive, clutching her algebra folder with both arms. She really did have work, and didn't want to see Jason again today, but something about his hopeful wide eyes made her weaken. "Fine."

Jason relaxed into an easy smile and his eyes narrowed back into their usual tilt. He left the door swinging on its hinge and strolled around the car, fiddling with the keys in his pocket.

"Where d'you want to go?"

"I don't," Chrissy said as she pulled herself into the seat.

"Okay okay, so you want to be difficult?" Jason asked, pushing the key into the lock as he turned to face her.

"No I just- what do you want Jason?"

"To make things right with you Chris! I love you, but sometimes I feel like you don't love me back."

"That's stupid."

"Is it?" he mumbled as he backed out of her drive, sending gravel in a plume over the wheels. Chrissy strained her head back, flattening it against the head of the seat. It was mid-September, but there seemed to be a chill in Jason's car nonetheless.

"Yes Jason," she said through her teeth. "It is, and if that's all you wanted to say then I think-"

"So say it," Jason cut in.

"Sorry?"

"Tell me that you love me."

"That's stupid Jason, I don't have to tell you anything."

"Then just say it."

"Why? You know I do."

"Say the goddamn words Chrissy!" he shouted, banging his fist on the steering wheel. The car veered towards the edge of the road and Chrissy fought to keep her folder from slipping to the ground.

"Fuck you!" Chrissy shouted back, a wrinkle cut deep into the bridge of her nose. Jason didn't reply. Instead his eyes became fixed upon the road and his knuckles grew pale.

"Jason?" Chrissy whispered. "Take me home."

"Home?" he echoed. "You want to go home?" His eyes had glazed over and he didn't seem to be looking at anything, just deep in his own mind. He continued to drive.

"Take me home," Chrissy repeated, fighting to keep a level voice. "Jason take me home."

"I don't know about that Chris." He smiled and Chrissy caught the corners of his upturned grin in her eyes as she stared straight ahead at the road. He turned the radio up to max and began tapping to the tune of Tainted Love on the edge of the wheel.

"I have work," she said.

"Screw work. Screw you Chrissy."

He pushed down hard on the pedal and the car picked up speed, nearing ninety miles per hour as they turned around a sharp bend. Hawkins was behind them now, the only civilisation being the trailer park an odd five marks up the road, and the tall Indiana forests seemed to cling to the car on either side of the road.

Chrissy's fingers began to slip over the papers as she tensed in her seat. Jason fed off of her fear. He always had. He would pick her most vulnerable moment and pull away from her until she felt dependant on his comfort, and she fell for it every time. Even now, as he clenched his jaw and narrowed his eyes, she wanted him by her side, and she hated herself for it.

"Where are you going Jason?" she asked levelly. He didn't reply. "Just tell me please."

"You tell me."

"Please Jason."

"Don't fucking try that on me now Chrissy," he snapped, veering the car off the road as he turned to look at her. "I gave you a chance to make things better and you don't take it."

"Make what better?"

"This! You Chrissy, you're messing things up." He rubbed his chin, glancing at her. "It's bullshit."

Chrissy felt her stomach turn. He thought she was messed up, just like her mother, just like her friends. Her legs felt numb as though they weren't really attached to her body anymore, and she slumped down in the seat without the energy to argue anymore. She needed to get out of this car.

"Stop the car, I feel sick."

"Don't be stupid Chris we're in the middle of nowhere."

"Stop the car!" she shouted, distantly tightening her grip on the algebra folder. "I going to throw up."

"Just wait let me-"

"Brake Jason!"

He swore and angled the car towards the side of the road, brushing up against the trees surrounding them. Chrissy slowly went for the door handle as Jason kept his eyes on her, then lost her footing on the side of the car. As she tumbled down Jason flinched, before reaching over and grasping for her.

Chrissy cringed away from his touch, before turning on her heel and slipping fully out of his reach.

"Chrissy?"

She didn't look back, but instead began to run through the trees, stumbling on wet twigs and leaves with heaving breaths. She could hear Jason behind her in the car shouting, then his footsteps mirroring hers on the undergrowth, but Chrissy did not stop. She kept running until Jason had fallen behind and given up.

Author's Note

This is dedicated to my four daily unique readers, you guys are lucking out because I'm postponing my chem revision just for you<3

Idk if this scene makes sense lmao, i have to be honest i'm making it up as i go along.

Also why is it like 50 degrees in the uk right now I'm literally sweating in places that don't see the light of day.