Chapter 5: The Trailer Park

Chrissy awoke in a bed that was not her own to the sound of deep snoring from across the room. She could recall flashes of last night, the taste of her own vomit and how it felt to crawl through the damp forest floor. She remembered the sound of bells and Jason leaving her to run through the woods. Then Chrissy remembered who had carried her back.

Eddie Munson was slumped over the sofa, a cigarette poking out between his fingers and his hair still damp and bedraggled on his forehead. In the humidity of the trailer there were beads of sweat on his forehead and his rings were scattered on the floor. Chrissy stared at him. It was almost surreal to see him so calm and at peace, as though his defences had dropped. But he was the freak, she reminded herself. Chrissy shuffled around on the bed quietly, deciding it was time to take advantage of his sleeping and leave now.

He must have given her something last night because Chrissy no longer felt weak and shaken. She was alert for the first time in what could have been weeks.

She set foot onto the floor, toes sticking to beer stains as she tried to dodge them and maintain a good distance from the sleeping boy. It could have been a good idea to raid his cupboard before she set off, but where food was missing the cupboards were stuffed high with beers and weed and cigarettes. She took one can of beer and zipped it into her cheer top as a safety measure but left the rest alone.

"Thirsty?" In the few minutes she had spent faced away from him, Eddie Munson had woken and was now staring at her with a smile twitching on his lips. He ran a hand through his long dark hair, pulling at his old top.

Chrissy's hand went straight to the bulge where the beer can sat in her top. "I was just-"

Eddie held up his hands. "No no, make yourself at home Cunningham. Fine by me." His eyes were dark and his skin looked sallow, like perhaps he hadn't gotten that much sleep, but he still managed a wink before turning back around and closing his eyes.

Chrissy stood there in the middle of the trailer, can of beer growing wet on her skin. "I think I'll be going now," she said, half hoping he had fallen asleep again. "Jason will be wondering where I am."

Eddie's head snapped back around. "You mean the Jason that chased you through the woods last night?"

"How do you know that?" Chrissy frowned.

"Your dear Jason isn't the quietest soul around," he said. "You two have a little domestic?" He pulled a pouty face.

"It was a misunderstanding, that's all. Me and Jason are fine."

"If that was a misunderstanding I hate to imagine what your fights look like."

Chrissy narrowed her eyes. "We don't fight. And what's it to you anyway?"

He smiled widely and shrugged, stretching upwards to sit on the arm of the sofa. "Breakfast?" Eddie asked, nodding his head towards two sandwiches. They looked like they had been made last night.

"I said I'm going back to Jason's."

Eddie's smile dropped and he bent forwards to face her. "You can't be serious? You're actually going back to see him?"

"I just told you I would," Chrissy said, backing away slightly. He had lost all sense of Eddie-like character and his expression darkened.

"Jesus Christ Cunningham I didn't think you were serious."

"Why wouldn't I be?" Chrissy asked.

"He's a dick!" Eddie exclaimed. "He chased you through the forest. You'd be dead if I hadn't found you."

"Well thank you Eddie Munson!" Chrissy snapped. "But did you ever consider that I didn't want to be found?"

"What the fuck are you talking about Cunningham?"

Chrissy snatched up another can of beer and didn't reply, storming over to the door. She turned to leave the trailer but Eddie seemed to have disappeared into the back room. Chrissy slammed the beer can down on the table and went to take the key from him, but Eddie was not in the backroom either, nor was he in the bathroom. She called for him angrily, hating him for trapping her in this stupid trailer and disappearing. And she hated him for making her so angry, for exposing the side of herself she kept hidden.

"Let me out!" Chrissy yelled, but she was met only with silence. It seemed to absorb her shout, and she felt strangely thrown off balance by it, almost like it hadn't been there before. A chill came about the air and one of the lights flickered. Was this some game he was playing on her?

"Eddie?" she asked, tentatively. She went back into the main room, wondering why they had such a large grandfather clock for the wall in such a small trailer.

Chrissy was almost certain it hadn't been there before.

That confirmed it. Eddie was playing some sick prank on her to scare her, or perhaps to get back at her for shouting at him.

"Eddie stop this now!" she shouted. There was a creak behind her and she jumped, backing up to one of the walls. Chrissy didn't know why she felt so anxious. Her throat seemed to tighten very slightly and her stomach constricted. She looked back over at the clock to see it read ten o'clock. She waited for ten uniform rings, but they didn't come. Instead it began to ring in that same familiar clashing sound, like it hadn't been oiled in centuries. Chrissy covered her ears instinctively, waiting for the ten chimes to be over, but once it hit the tenth one it kept ringing and ringing.

"Eddie this isn't funny!" Chrissy pressed her eyes closed, and when she opened them again the room had become lit by a dingy blue hue. She ran to the door and rammed into it, rattling the handle back and forth, but it stayed stuck in place as though something was pushing it back.

"Chrissy?" came a faint voice from the backroom, and the girl's heart stopped. "Chrissy try on this dress again will you?"

"No. No no no no," Chrissy mumbled, sinking to the floor and wrapping her arms around her knees. The bells got louder and louder until there were no distinguished rings, just a discordance of sharp rings and low groans from the clock. The room seemed to close in on the and her mother's voice rang out loud and clear.

"Chrissy come back hear and try on the goddamn dress!"

The bells and the voice and the room seemed to merge into one until Chrissy could bear it no longer and began to scream, fingers in her ears and eyes squeezed tightly shut.

She kept screaming and sobbing until the bells had faded and her mother's voice began to drop in pitch to become Eddie Munson repeating her name, shaking her so that her head lolled back and forwards.

"Chrissy? Chrissy what's going on? Chrissy?"

She slowly dragged her hands down her face until her eyes were open again. Eddie Munson was crouched over her, his eyebrows drawn together and his knee jogging up and down with terror.

"Chrissy are you there?"

Chrissy cringed away from him, pressing back against the door until she could get away from him. She had thought the claims of Satanic worship linked to Eddie Munson were ridiculous, but now there seemed to be no other explanation. This boy was pure evil.

"Get away from me," Chrissy murmured, sweat rolling down down her face and settling into her cheer uniform.

"Wait let me help-"

"What did you just do?" she cried, staring at him with wide eyes as he raised his hands.

"I didn't do anything, you-"

"Leave me alone," Chrissy yelled, grabbing the door handle and pulling herself up, before tumbling down to the ground and stumbling through the trailer park to the road. Her head was spinning and her voice was hoarse. With cuts on her legs and torn clothes in the icy morning air, it was a wonder that she made it back alive.

Author's Note

Literally had no clue how to end this chapter. Having a crisis because i didn't fully think out what kind of relationship they were going to have.

And I just realised how much shorter these chapters are compared to most stories lmao sincerest apologies.