Chapter 4

Annabeth's POV

Percy and I separated at school. I silently walked to my locker, which wasn't very hard to find. Percy's was down the hall. I kept getting looks from guys. The jocks would make whistling sounds and some would talk about me.

"...Look at the hottie... She must be new... I call dibs..."

None of them would want to call dibs if they knew how broken I was.

I walked to my locker to dial in the combination. I emptied the contents of my bag into the empty locker, and kept the things I would need for History.

When I walked into the classroom, I saw Percy sitting in the back, scribbling on a piece of paper. I couldn't see his green eyes, but I could tell by his position that he was busy. There were no empty seats near him, so I made my way to the front.

"Hello, students," the teacher spoke up. She spotted me in the front. "As I told you, we have a new student today. Um, Annabelle, is it?"

"Er, it's Annabeth," I said in a quiet voice. Some kids snickered.

"Oh, sorry. Anyways, class, let's begin."

Don't get me wrong, I love learning as much as the next kid, but I already knew this stuff. Greek Mythology was my strong suit.

It seemed to be Percy's strong suit too. The teacher gave us a pop quiz, and at the end, she congratulated both Percy and I for perfect scores.

The class ended, and I made my way to Honor's English.

* * *

After many classes in which Percy and I barely spoke, it was lunch.

I had a packed lunch. Something I'd done to keep away from the unhealthy school food. I had to make it myself every morning, though, because my step mom didn't care about me.

I walked into the lunch room, looking for a place to sit. I dreaded this moment. Being the new kid wasn't easy. Then, I spotted Percy, sitting alone in the corner, eating school food with a look of disgust on his face. I walked over there and sat down right across from him.

"Mind if I sit here?"