Chapter 11

Annabeth

"Where were you?" Helen asked as I walked through the front door.

"I was out with my friend," I replied calmly.

"And which friend is that?"

"It was just Percy. He lives across the street-"

"I know you he is! Who said you could just wander out of the house, eh?"

"You did! I told you I was going somewhere."

"Well I didn't hear you! Go to your room, your grounded."

"Ugh!" I threw my hands up in frustration and stomped up to my bedroom. I bolted and door and flopped down on my bed.

I hated my life. Something good comes in, and Helen grounds me for it. My arms itched, and I looked over at a drawer on my dresser. I stood up, and without thinking, crept towards it. One foot in front of another. I put my hand on the handle and pulled it open. In it, lay a pocket knife.

My habits overwhelmed me. Without thinking, I picked up the knife. I could still feel it digging into my skin as I cried in my bathroom for hours.

So I let my habits fully take control. I tiptoed over to my bathroom, closing and bolting the door shut. I sat down on the cold toilet and repeated the process I unfortunately knew very well. The cuts ruined my skin. They zigzaged through my skin, opening old scars on the way. The skin around the cuts were red themselves. Maybe from blood, maybe from skin irritation. I didn't care.

My phone then rang, and I jumped to go pick it up. "Hey, Perce." I forgot about cutting when I talked to him.

"What happened?"

"Its was Helen. The stupid bitch grounded me. I'm really sorry for ruining our date."

Then I realized my mistake.

"Oh! Sorry, not a date. Um, I didn't mean..."

Percy laughed. "It's okay, Wise Girl. Hey if your step mom is giving you a bad time, you could come over."

"Seriously? I don't know, your mom doesn't know me well."

"She's not home," Percy explained. I blinked. The way he said it. It was so innocent. Most guys would've been thinking so dirty.

"Thanks, Seaweed Brain. You're a life saver."

I hung up. I threw on my black jeans and white flowy shirt. I put on a jacket, grabbed my brown backpack and looked out the window to see Percy's face staring back at me. He was smiling as he motioned for me to hurry up.

Percy

I watched as Annabeth pulled open her bedroom windows. She grabbed hold of a large oak tree near her window. Slowly, she pulled herself down. I went down to open the door for her. A few minutes later, I heard a quiet knock on the door and found her standing there. Her hair had pieces of leaves in them.

"You have leaves in your hair," I said, pointing out the obvious. I reached over to pull the pieces out of her grey and blonde locks.

"Wow, thanks Perce."

We both quietly laughed, and I led her to the living room. It probably looked like a mess to her. Trash littered the place, a box of chocolates from Paul Blofis lay on the dinner table, and few pictures of my mom and I scattered all empty places. Annabeth wasn't focusing on those things. She was busy itching her wrists.

"What?" she asked. I raised an eyebrow and stepped over to her.

"Annabeth?"

"Yeah?"

"Is your arm bothering you?"

Annabeth shook her head. Blush crept up her neck, mainly because our bodies were basically touching and my face was centimeters from hers.

"I don't believe you," I whispered. I grabbed her arm before she could stop me and pulled up the sleeve.

Annabeth closed her eyes and turned her head away. Fresh scars toppled over her old ones, ruining her perfect skin.

"I'm sorry, Percy. I know I said I wouldn't cut anymore."

I looked Annabeth in the eyes. Hers were light with tears daring to spill. Her rosy lips were slightly pulled apart, as if she herself was in shock at what she'd done. She looked so vulnerable. She wasn't the girl most people thought her to be.

So I pulled her in for a hug. Annabeth cried into my shoulder, and I rubbed her back. Her hands clung to my shirt, and she took deep breaths to calm herself.

"It's okay, Annabeth. There's nothing to cut for anymore. I'm always here for you."