-> memories

As we race through our mission prep, and I see Bradley every single day, I can't help but think about the last time I talked to him before this.

His mothers funeral.

It wrecked Bradley through and through.

I was helping Carole at the Bradshaw's, doing her dishes, when she collapsed to the ground.

When I couldn't get her awake, I called 911.

Within minutes, she was at the hospital, being treated for the the last stage of her cancer.

I didn't know.

Apparently, she had it for the last year or two, about the time that Bradley left.

I should've paid more attention.

All I can blame is myself.

My father came back, Carole was one of his oldest friends. I waited outside her room, as they talked for a long time. I someone yelling after a guy, who was running down the halls.

It was Bradley.

He stops when he spots me, resting his hands in his knees.

He looks at Maverick and his mother speaking in the room.

"Is she alright?" Bradley asks me, forgetting our last argument the night of Prom, almost a month ago.

I want to lie, and tell him she's going to be alright, but instead I shake my head and burst into tears.

His face goes pale, and he gives me a quick hug before stepping into the hospital room.

Bradley and my father greet each other, until he leaves the Bradshaw's alone.

She died only 2 days later.

I stayed at their house, helping Bradley process, and answering the door whenever somebody came over to "help".

It was sweet and all, but it just made Bradley's moods worse.

Then came the day of the funeral, only a week and a half later.

I wore a black dress, my father a black suit, and we made our way to the cemetery.

I come, silent, and I mourn my aunt. It's the least I could do.

Bradley looks so alone, near tears when they lower her coffin into the ground.

Knowing Bradley too well, I help him go home instead of going with my dad.

Bradley cries, and I hold him when he does.

I've never seen him cry, not since he skimmed his knees falling from a bike when we were young.

But he's done it plenty of times for me.

After he's all cried out, I help clean up, as Bradley continues to mourn his mother.

I start on the dirty dishes, as plenty of people brought over casseroles, salads and desserts over.

I ignore Bradley's pressing stares, just trying to help him after the loss of his mom.

"Are you okay?" I ask Bradley, but almost curse myself out, what a stupid question to ask the guy who just lost his mother.

"Did you know?" Bradley asks.

"I didn't know you're mom had cancer, Bradley. I'm so sorry. I should've—"

"No, she wouldn't tell anybody. My mothers stubborn like that. Did you know about this?" He thrusts the opened letter at me.