-> first day of training

Part of the second batch, not the first, we knew more of what to expect when fighting Maverick.

Fanboy and Payback challenged their instructor, whoever got shot down had to do 200 push ups.

Needless to say, half of the pilots were finishing their push-ups when we were up in the air.

"Good morning aviators, this is your Captain speaking." Maverick spoke into his helmet. "Welcome to basic fighting maneuvers. As briefed, today's exercise is dogfighting. Guns only, no missiles, and we do not go below the hard deck of 5000 feet."

"Hey Hurricane?" I hear Hangman ask through the private channel.

"Hey what?"

"You see Mav anywhere?"

Knowing my dad, he's already here for us. Where is a good question.

"Right under us!" Bob yells out into his microphone, and I heard Phoenix sigh. If I was in her position, I'd feel the same way.

Maverick came out of his hiding spot, and then maneuvered between us, almost clipping our wings as we both moved out of the way.

Cocky old man.

I communicate with my 'partner,' "Hangman, break right, I'll go left."

I went left, but saw that Hangman went left too.

Sick son of a bi—

"Hangman!" I swerved out of the way, and then started to tail Mav. "I said go right, not left! Do you need new eyes or something!" I say, trying to aim for Maverick, but every time I'm close he pilots out of the way.

I heard Phoenix laughing at my anger, but she then adds, "This is why we call him Hangman, he always leaves us out hanging."

I snort and finish, "For dead."

Maverick zooms out into the desert, and none of us branch out to follow him.

Nobody wants to do 200 push-ups today.

I pulled my handle up, hoping some altitude would give me an advantage.

"He left?" I double check with Phoenix and Bob, two pairs of eyes are better than one.

"Affirmative." She answers back.

"200 push-ups, right Mav?" I ask him.

He turns, flying straight for us. "Yup. Catch me if you can."

I flip around, so I'm the one chasing him.

I'm close, he's almost in range, as my finger hovers over the trigger, ready for the shot.

Maverick suddenly was pulling up over and around me, doing a 360, and finished me off.

"Gotcha." He said, and trailed after Phoenix and Bob.

"And that's 200 hundred push-ups, ladies." I hear Hangman's voice through the radio, wishing I could tear it out.

★★★