-> behind enemy lines

"Do they know we're here?" One of the administrators asked.

Admiral Bates considered this, before saying, "No, must be a routine flight. But they'll figure it out soon enough. Hurricane and Hangman!"

"Yes, sir!"

We both stand at attention, ready for our orders.

"Go be on standby. Get ready to fly."

"Yes, Admiral!"

We answer before leaving the bridge.

Hangman and I walk quickly and quietly towards the locker room, to grab our helmets and other gear.

Things are definitely awkward between us ever since this morning. I didn't mean to hurt his feelings, but I doubt I did. It's Hangman.

He has the biggest ego out of everyone I've ever met.

Jake Seresin decides to break our silence, by saying, "At least we're getting some action."

"Better than sitting in there and watching them do the mission." I replied.

"Right."

I walk out first, so that I can launch off the runway before Hangman. It's not my fault he couldn't keep up.

I'm stopped by a flight control captain, "Bandits have changed directions towards Dagger Team. They know we're here."

"Up and at it then?" I asked excitedly.

They nodded, "Admiral Bates said to go get up in the air. They might need your cover."

"Yes, sir! And thank you." I said, noticing Hangman walking out behind me.

I left, and got in my cockpit.

As much as it was supposed to calm my nerves being able to help, it also doubled them, I wouldn't be able to hear everything that was going on.

I took out a deep breath, then focused my eyes to the skies as I flew off the runway.

This was my favorite place to be in the whole world.

Hangman soon came up after me, and we had orders to stay in our airspace, at a reduced speed, not to alarm any plans of ours.

Any enemy planes would have to come to us.

After a minute, Payback and Fanboy, and then Phoenix and Bob's planes passed by us, ready to land on the aircraft carrier.

I circled around, not paying any mind to Hangman.

Where was Maverick and Rooster?

"What's the status on Dagger One and Two?" I questioned.

Mission Control answered back after processing my request, "Both have been shot down by enemy aircraft over 10 minutes ago. Status: unknown."

My heart felt as if it was being ripped out.

No, no, no, no, no, no.