Chapter 3 - The Test

Sinclair POV

Nothing and no one could change her good mood today. Not even those wannabe spice girls. The extra money from last night made her fill her cupboards. It had been a while since she had indulged in grocery shopping. And the breakfast delivered anonymously, it was obviously from a top-notched restaurant, filled her tummy to the brim.

Having extra shillings, made her buy her favorite lip gloss. Of course, it was cheap but it did wonderful things to her lips. Making her feel pretty, too. She had a few bucks left, the money was budgeted until payday.

In high spirits and about to reach her locker, her happy steps faltered. From the corner of her eye, she saw Sandy, from her class walking a bit too close to...Professor Irene. Cozy. Sinclair thought bitterly.

They came out of the teacher's lounge at this early hour. When most likely no one was about. The girl was smiling at Irene enticingly while she glanced down.

-Oh. I see.- Looking away was the best option.

She didn't need a degree to decipher their type of body language. Even a blind person could see it. The problem was she had regarded Irene in such high esteem. Disappointed. Dejected. She turned away. She should have known better. She guessed SOMEONE had the power to burst her happy bubble after all. And she stupidly gave Irene that power without even knowing.

-Six more weeks, Sin. Hold on tight.-

***

She was so fucking glad she was almost done for the day and really looking forward to peace and quiet in the library.

-You have been swearing all day, Sin.-

Yeah. Like she fucking cared. Done with the exam, her fingers typed furiously on her laptop.

-Poor baby.-

Just had this beauty and she was overworking Irene. Frustration was the least of what she was feeling the whole day. The scene she had witnessed earlier keptplaying in mind.

-You are jealous.-

No. Impossible. She didn't have the right. The fault could only be laid at her feet. She cared too much too easily.

Clenching her jaw, she stopped and read her notes. Few more minutes to go and she would be out of here. There. Almost done.

"Ms. Yuan, please stay a few minutes after class. We have to discuss your thesis." Fucking great! She had to endure the great professor a bit longer.

Answer her, damn it! "Yes, ma'am."

Why couldn't she just tell Irene to shove it...

-Sinclair! She did you no wrong.-

Professor Irene waited until everyone left before she approached Sinclair in her customary graceful strides. Irene had a different expensive suit on. This time it was all

Not wanting to be towered over, she stood up shakily. At least it will lessen the effect of being intimidated.

"Are you ok, Sinclair?" -Don't make me shiver. Don't. Suppressing it as much as she could, she looked beyond Irene's shoulder and nodded. Hopeless. Irene's voice does things to her body.

"I'm okay, ma'am" Her eyes were anywhere but at Irene.

"You seem distracted today. Is everything okay at home?" Irene was closer to her now. Only two feet apart. When did she move?

"Everything is okay, Ma'am." Good job, Sin. Keep it monotone.

But when Irene tipped her chin with her two fingers so she could look directly into Sinclair's eyes, she trembled from her touch.