Chapter Fourty-Five

|ESTERLINA'S POV|

I stood out on the balcony, my hair fluttering in the morning breeze and my lilac eyes gleaming in the golden rays.
The morning was breathtaking as I peered at the reddening splendour from the balcony. The fresh air swept over me as I waited for my morning to begin

Despite the previous day's harsh weather , today has started off warm and comfortable.

After calming my nerves and letting the air sink in, I grabbed the law of alchemy book laying on the countertop of the table.

Eloise sat on her bed putting on her stockings as I walked into the room.

After she was done dressing she grabbed her schedule and we headed down.

The halls became rather noisy as the other females made their way down to breakfast.

"It's my first day and I already feel tired."

A yawn escaped my lips as reality hit me.

"Did you not get enough sleep?"

Eloise turned to me as we went down the stairs.

"Erh ... I had a problem sleeping."

The lie casually flew out as I couldn't tell her I snuck out on my first day.

The chattering amongst the girls died down as we reached the dining room.

The dining room had a splendour to it, from the chandeliers to the long marble table in the centre.

We looked around before finding Ueria who sat at the head of the long table.

She stood up as we all came in and stood behind the seats.

"For the new students, fourth years at the beginning of the table, third years right after, second years in the middle and the first years at the end of the table."

We sat at our designated seats, waiting for breakfast to be served.

After a while, the doors of the kitchen opened and servants dressed formally entered with trays filled with aromatic food and trolleys with beverages plates and various necessities.

"The dishes are diverse."

Said the girl who sat across from me.

They were indeed diverse.

Even though it was just breakfast, it consisted of food from the southern, eastern, western and northern Empires.

I placed some pancakes on my plate and some scrambled eggs that were glossed with fine olive oil.

After using the maple syrup I handed it over to Eloise who had also taken her fair share of pancakes.

It was then I noticed the sharp look I received.

Madelyn and her lackeys had been glaring ever since I sat at the table. It was so intense that the other first years just shrunk and uncomfortably ate their portions.

"Does the young lady have anything on her face?"

A soft-sounding voice suddenly spoke and all the first years turned to my side.

I also turned to my right, finally noticing the girl that had sat silently the whole time.

"Pardon?"

Madelyn inquired, scrunching her nose and raising her brow.

The girl's short hair reached her neck, and her dark raven bangs obscured her eyes, but I could see the blazing jade irises from where I sat.

"It's just that you kept staring at her so intently that I assumed she had something on her face that we couldn't see."

The young lady fiddled with her fork, clearly bored, poking at the veggies on her dish with her chin resting on her palm.

"No I wasn't, stop spouting nonsense!"

Madelyn's strident tone rose higher.

Second, third, and even some fourth years turned to gaze down at Madelyn, who had become crimson.

"I was just asking, no need to be so defensive."

She shrugged and went back to eating as if nothing happened. She then turned to me and smiled which took me aback.

The sound of teeth-gritting was heard in the background and I assumed it to be Madelyn.

Soon after the other girls went back to their conversations and the unknown girl went back to eating

However, I still felt a gaze lingering on me.

Ueria had a scrutinizing expression on her face that appeared to be directed at me.

A sweatdrop ran down my cheek as I uneasily put the moist pancake on my tongue.

I wondered if I could even digest the meal under her persistent gaze.

____________________________________________________________________

The academy's premises was far more spacious than the dormitories.

After tirelessly looking for our classroom Eloise and I ultimately found the huge pale door with an amber handle.

We walked into the lively room. Coming across the crowd scattered around the place we both our way to find our seats.

I sensed a slack grasp on my wrist as I climbed the steps to the seats.

"Your seat is over here."

Adrien had seized my right wrist and gestured to the empty space next to him.

Eloise had taken the seat directly behind us and had settled down, as did I, unpacking my stationery.

"Excited much?"

His tone was teasing as he lightly jerked me with an elbow.

Adrien most certainly spotted me fumbling with my fountain pen or scraping the edge of my thumb.

He always notices the little signs of my anxiety.

However, for someone like him who has been around for a while, it would be weird if he didn't notice the indications.

"Maybe."

Maybe would be totally downplaying all the emotions that spiralled in my body.

Before another word could be said or another noise could be made we heard a banging noise.

A pile of books went crashing down on the podium leaving even an echo.

As if compelled every single student turned their heads to where the loud commotion was coming from.

"When did he come in?"

I heard some girls asking eachother in a hushed tone.

The slender man stood before us, adjusting his cuffs before sliding his fingers into his frizzy apricot hair. His glasses were slanted however his gimlet eyes could still be seen.

Irises which reminded me of tree bark were piercing as he glanced around the room.

"Why don't we get started then."

He stated his voice as stoic as ever.

TO BE CONTINUED...