Chapter X: Date Night

Amity P.O.V.

"Hey, love?" Luz hummed as she lifted her head slightly, clearly still tired from prior actions. We agreed to cuddle for a while to rest, which allowed my thoughts to wander. "Do you struggle with your body image often...?" Luz flinched as she pushed herself up and out of my grasp to look at me directly.

"N-no! I used to I mean..." Luz looked away from me nervously. "When I was younger I always looked for a reason to why it kept happening. I never blamed it on my dad so I obviously blamed myself." I gently hugged Luz as her nerves continued to get the better of her. "Like it was something I did or what I wore or something was wrong with me, and eventually I decided it was my body. I decided I was to frail and weak to deserve anything but that." Luz hugged me tightly as she spoke.

"Did you ever do anything about it? I mean like negatively." Her grip grew tense like she became pained just from my words.

"A few times I did. It was mostly just off and on hurting myself. I never caused severe damage I didn't have the urge to hurt myself as much, so I don't have any scars but..." I held Luz closer as I felt more worried. "I stopped eating much for a while. I think it was only a few months but I'm not too sure."

"You moved past all that I'm assuming?"

"I...I don't know anymore. Last night was the first time I thought like that in years. I'm honestly scared that I might do something...bad I guess? To compensate with it all." I moved my hand to cup Luz's cheek, forcing her gaze to link with mine.

"Whatever happen's Luz, just know I'm here okay? I'll always be here for you. If you ever do anything I won't judge you for it." Luz smiled softly and sighed.

"I really hope you'd keep to your word."

"Let's hope it doesn't have to come to that okay?" Luz nodded and let go of me to sit herself up.

"You're asking me about this because of last night, right?" I nodded and watched as Luz huffed and looked away from me. "I...I was mostly in my head when I said all of that so those feelings just came out overwhelming. It's nothing that I think often I promise." I watched Luz get up slowly and leave the room. Part of me wanted to question her more, but I decided to leave it be. I didn't want to ruin the mood further than I already had.

"Shit...how long has she..." I sighed to stop myself from rambling my thoughts aloud. I couldn't help but pry into my memories while guilt slowly gnawed on my conscience. Was there ever an indication that she hated her body when we were younger? Or even now? Did she hide it? Pretend? Or was it really all repressed?

Could I have done anything differently to stop it? How bad has it gotten all while being invisible to everyone but her?

My heart sank as my mind continued to ponder. I felt sick thinking about where Luz could've ended up had she wanted to hurt herself or even if her father never got better. I felt my body hunch over once I sat on the side of the bed, my hands covering my mouth as if I was about to throw up. That reality wasn't real. It wasn't worth thinking about. I shook my head and got up to fix the rest of this date night. We've still got a few more hours to enjoy ourselves before Ed and Hunter get back with Rain. I walked out of the room to find Luz sitting on the couch, mindlessly twirling a glass of wine in her hand. I doubt she had any of it yet but she seemed to have planned on drinking it. Eventually. Her whole body jumped suddenly and her hold on the glass tensed greatly. "Lo siento lo siento lo siento lo siento..."

"Love, you okay?" I walked towards Luz and sat beside her. Looking her over the fear in her eyes told me enough to act. I gently took the glass from her hand, and I set it down on the coffee table to get her attention. She looked at me her emotions still scattered from whatever thought happened to occur to her. Giving her the choice to hug me or not; I slowly raised my arms in expectance for a hug, since physical touch may not be what's comfortable right now. Despite my cautiousness, Luz hugged me tightly. I heard her breath sway as if she were speaking but no words formed. "It's going to be alright, mi amor." Luz hummed a weak response in agreement. She sniffled a little trying not to cry.