Chapter XII: Stressed

Amity P.O.V.

After a few days Luz decided to set up a therapy appointment in the human realm, and should be done with the meeting in about 20 minutes. Rain wanted to come along but I worried she'd get nervous in the rather sterile and cold environment. Thankfully there was a local playground a few blocks away from the therapy office. It was midday on a Saturday so there were plenty of other kids for Rain to play with. I had sat on a bench a few feet away from the playground. Watching Rain chase a few other kids in a game of tag. Thankfully, Gus had given me a few tips in illusion magic so I was able to conceal our ears easily. My phone started to ring startling me as I answered the call. "Hello?"

"Huh? That's not her voice..." The voice grumbled slightly as the speaker cleared their throat. "Apologies, who am I speaking too?"

"I should be asking you the same thing." I felt my nerves spike at the voice's familiar tone.

"Fair...does the name Duchess mean anything to you?" My heart rate increased the second I heard the name. Zander's last name...

"How did you get this number?" The voice chuckled.

"An incompetent informant. You weren't my intended caller. Besides the point how's Rain?" The question redirected my attention to spotting Rain. I lost track of her for a moment as she ran behind a thing of equipment.

"Why do you ask?" After a moment I realized Rain wasn't reappearing anywhere, making me worry. I stood up to look for her, trying my best to stay calm.

"Oh I don't know...why do you sound worried? Not as good of a parent as you thought you were hmm?" I walked around to where I last saw Rain still not seeing her.

"Z-Zander this isn't funny!" My eyes darted around in a panic.

Where did she go? Zander couldn't possibly have...no if anything he paid someone. Fuck that doesn't help!

"Hey!" I jumped as I felt someone's hand on my shoulder, along with their voice. I turned around to see Emira holding Rain. "Are you okay, Mittens? You look a little freaked." I subconsciously ended the call and hugged Emira, allowing myself to breathe.

"Just stressed I suppose." I felt Rain try to hug the top of my head making me laugh. I lifted my head as I took Rain from Emira. "What are you doing here?"

"When you called the other day I got a bit worried and wanted to check-in with you. In person. I would've shown up sooner but I hadn't gotten the time off from work." Emira glanced around as if she suddenly was reminded to take in her surroundings. "Camila let me know you'd be around here, but I forgot to ask why." Emira chuckled slightly as she turned back to me, looking for an explanation.

"Oh...well I spoke to Luz and..." I shook my head and set Rain down before I said anything else. "Hey sweetie why don't you go play with the other kids some more?" Rain smiled and turned to run off. "Sorry I just don't want her to hear something and worry."

"No it's totally fine. Anyways you were saying?"

"Right...I convinced Luz to go to therapy. See if it's right for her and go from there."

"That's good." I nodded as I looked away slightly towards the building Luz was in. "Right?"

"It is! But I just...Em, after I called you Luz got home and she...she told me she hurt herself. I know it's not exactly my place to say anything to you but it scared the hell out of me." Emira blinked in shock for a moment before forming a response.

"Oh titan is she okay?" I nodded as I sighed. "Is that what convinced her to give it a shot?"

"Yeah...but when I was helping her get patched up I couldn't help but get freaked out by all the cuts. When I flinched I noticed Luz turn away...I just feel like I'm hurting her." I sighed feeling worse when admitting it all aloud. "Sorry I just haven't exactly caught a good moment to rest and fully sort out my thoughts." Emira shook her head and placed a hand on my shoulder.