𝟬𝟴. 𝗗𝗢𝗡'𝗧 𝗦𝗔𝗬 𝗜𝗧

...∘∙⋆⋯✩           ✩⋯⋆∙∘...

There was no more need for preparation or training; the mission was now. Time had run out. Captain Mitchell stood in front of the naval aviators; he was about to make his selection. A majority of the aviators wore dreadful expressions as there wasn't much evidence that backed the success of the mission.

"It's been an honor flying with you. Each of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission, and my choices are a reflection of that and nothing else," Captain Mitchell addressed the group. Emerson couldn't stop the roll of her eyes at the lies that projected out of her father's mouth.

Admiral Simpson stood beside Maverick, "Choose your two foxtrot teams."

"Payback and Fanboy. Phoenix and Bob," he answered.

"Choose your wingman."

Maverick's eyes scanned the group in front of him. A proud smile sat on Hangman's face while Rooster avoided the captain's gaze altogether. His eyes landed on Raven's. She sent him a piercing stare; one that sent shivers down his spine. She was rightfully angry at him, yet it still didn't change his mind. He didn't care how upset Emerson was just as long as she was safe. "Rooster."

"The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that's required. Dismissed."

Emerson approached Phoenix, "Give 'em hell for me?"

Phoenix smiled softly at the woman and pulled her into a tight hug, "You know it, Rae."

Emerson pulled away and turned to Bob. He gave her a cheerful smile that did nothing but warm Emerson's raging heart. She returned the smile, "Make us proud, Bob. And when you get back, the first round is on me."

A blush crept up on the pilot's cheeks, "Yes ma'am."

The aviators stood dispersed on the flight deck of the aircraft carrier. Those on the mission team were checking over their respective planes before take-off. Emerson found Bradley beside his plane.

"Hey, I was about to come find—" Emerson took his face in her hands and kissed him tenderly, cutting off his sentence. "I love you," she confessed.

There was a twinkle in Bradley's eyes like he had been waiting his entire life to hear those three words from Emerson, and of course, she beat him to saying it. "I lo—"

She stopped him again, "Don't say it till you come back."

Maverick approached the two pilots, and Emerson turned to leave. She had no intention of listening to whatever sorry excuse he had to say this time.