𝟬𝟵. 𝗗𝗔𝗡𝗚𝗘𝗥 𝗭𝗢𝗡𝗘

...∘∙⋆⋯✩            ✩⋯⋆∙∘...

Maverick's face was numb and goosebumps covered his entire body from the frigid temperature that seemed to surround him. He opened his eyes to the warm sun reflecting off the snow-covered ground. He crash-landed in the middle of a clearing in the forest. Maverick thanked his guardian angel for surviving yet another crash.

As he came to his senses, he heard the roar of a large motor. Turning around, Maverick saw a helicopter that lacked Navy tail markings. It wasn't there to save him; it was there to kill him. He spotted a fallen tree several yards away from him and ran for cover as the helicopter pelted the landscape around him with bullets.

There was a break in the shooting; Maverick started to breathe a little easier. Then, the helicopter reappeared on his left. There was nowhere for Maverick to go; this was it. His life flashed before his eyes. He thought about the promise he made to Penny and Amelia. He thought about his estranged relationship with Emerson, but at least she still had Bradley. Maverick shut his eyes, awaiting the impact of the bullets. 

Instead, a gust of heat swept over Maverick's face. He opened his eyes. An F-18 shot down the helicopter in front of him and was fleeing the scene; it was Bradley. Though, just as he escaped, a missile struck his plane from behind. "Dagger 2, hit!" Bradley shouted over the airwaves.

Emerson heard the news in her plane. "Bradley!" She cried out.

Maverick watched carefully for a parachute and ran off in the direction of Bradley's crash site. "You alright?" He yelled.

Bradley gathered his parachute and stood up, "Yeah, I'm good. You alright?"

Maverick shoved the younger pilot into the cold snow. They both begrudgingly threw their helmets onto the ground. Bradley stood up, seething, "What the hell?"

"What are you doing here?"

"What am I doing here?" Bradley repeated the question like Maverick was stupid.

"You think I took that missile so that you could be down here with me? You should be back on the carrier by now!"

"I saved your life!" Bradley insisted.

"I saved your life! That's the whole point!" Maverick's chest heaved over their heated argument. "What the hell were you even thinking?"

"Emerson told me not to think! Probably something she gets from her father!"

Maverick pondered Bradley's comment; he had a point. Bradley raised his hands in defense, anticipating another argument with his captain. Maverick just raised an eyebrow and tilted his head, finally accepting the situation the two were in. "It's good to see ya."