✾ ᴘᴀʀᴛ 𝟿✾

✾━━━━━━━━✾━━━━━━━━✾

✾━━━━━━━━✾━━━━━━━━✾

Steve grabbed the wooden stool that stood next to the small built-in closet and sat down next to Peggy's bed.

Despite the fact that she was 93 years old, under the long gray-white hair and the already wrinkled face, you could still recognize the Peggy Steve had met back in the 40s.

"But first, how's my girl?"He put his hand on the back of her hand and squeezed it lightly as he looked at her with a sad but loving look.

Peggy had always been the epitome of perfection to him. When he met her back in his training to become a soldier, he was instantly smitten and to this day that had not changed.

If he could, he would immediately turn back time and do things differently, just for the chance to dance the dance he had promised her.

Since he was scraped out of the ice and thawed out, he visited her regularly at the nursing home.

Every Tuesday and Thursday, punctually at 1 p.m., he would grab his first love, who was already in a wheelchair, and walk together with her through the big city jungle of New York.

And precisely because he always came on the same days and at the same time, Peggy and also the nursing staff were extremely surprised that he showed up on a Monday morning and unannounced.

"As it happens to an old woman like me. I'm just waiting --"

"For me to come visit you."

Steve finished her sentence so he wouldn't have to hear her version.

He knew it was only a matter of time before she too would leave this planet and that thought hurt his heart.
She was the only person he had left from his old life and it seemed to him that if Peggy disappeared now, the rest of the 40's Steve would disappear with her.

Peggy just smiled weakly as Steve finished her sentence and clasped his hand with hers.

"But now tell me, to what do I owe the honor of having the golden boy of America pay me an extra-natural visit?"

Before he could ask his question, he reconsidered his words.
He knew Peggy didn't like to talk about certain things from her past, and she was even ashamed of them in some cases, but he needed answers.

"Pegs --" he tried again to swallow the lump in his throat, " -- we were attacked by a man with a metal arm - it seemed almost personal. They were speaking Russian in parts, and my suspicion is that Hydra didn't die with me then."

"Oh Stevie."

She pressed her lips together into a thin line, and the expression in her eyes only made Steve suspect that what she would say next was not what he expected.

✾━━━━━━━━✾━━━━━━━━✾

2 weeks later back in Russia