05 | Not Your Mom

"Welcome to hell...fire." Jeff stood at the head of the table, smiling at his own cheesiness. All of the party members looked painfully excited.

Mitch sat in the old lazyboy that was literally falling apart beneath them, watching as the meeting began. "I truly hope these spoils are enough for your perilous journey ahead, boys." Every one of them had big grin. Dustin's was probably the widest as he hoarded some 3 Musketeers beside him on the table.

"Today we welcome our longtime sponsor..." The boys drummed on the table causing it to wobble. "...Mitch Addams!" Mitch smiled widely and waved like a princess would.

"Thank you, thank you." They said quietly before the attention was finally off of them. Mitch was almost certain they'd fall asleep in the lazyboy as soon as the game started. It could last upwards of seven hours. Mitch was just glad they had the most comfortable seat in the house.

Dungeons & Dragons seemed fun but Mitch did not have the attention span to learn all the rules. They did know that some moves required a certain number or higher to be rolled. And that the characters were so customizable. All of the party members had custom figures made. Mitch couldn't really remember but they definitely helped pay for some of them.

Mitch Addams was full of secrets. Most people would look at them and assume at least two of these three things: they're a pothead (true), they're a failing student (surprisingly not true), and that they come from dirt (also not true). Besides their passing grades, Mitch holds another secret even closer to their chest.

Their parents' money. Good money in Hawkins was quite... rare, to say the least. But there were only like three houses like Mitch's in Hawkins. And they could name the owners' off easily, Steve Harrington, Jason Carver, and that abandoned house from the '50s. Although, the Wheeler's had a pretty nice house too.

It wasn't like they were embarrassed–okay, Mitch kinda was, but that was because everyone they spent their time around weren't as well off. Which is why Mitch is always helping Eddie out with Hellfire. It felt nice to spread their wealth. And since their parents were gone 24/7, they were able to get away with more than most.

Isabela Addams was the real breadwinner in the Addams household. Mitch's dad mostly just... followed her around to make things easier. They didn't mind not seeing their parents often, Uma was just enough parent for Mitch to handle. And sometimes her son, Derrick would visit from his dads'. They loved the hell out of their cousin, he was only a year older than Mitch–but so much cooler.

He had a shaved head that was bleached blond and wore the coolest outfits. Mitch was painfully jealous of his ability to ignore the rest of the world and just be himself.

Because Mitch would shave their head in a heartbeat if it meant nobody would say shit. But they knew what would happen, it's Hawkins. They'd probably be sent off to Pennhurst to rot for hysteria.

The main reason Mitch hid their financial status was so that the popular kids would turn their stupid noses up at them. They didn't even want to be liked by any of them. When Mitch moved from the city to be closer to home, they decided on that first day in 10th grade to never fall in with any of them.

It was also the first time they met Eddie Munson. He'd been the one to walk up to Mitch asking about their tattoos and where the hell they'd been all his life. That was his first junior year. The next one was spent with Mitch in tow. (or the other way around because Munson was so in love with Addams)

Mitch wasn't an idiot, they knew Eddie only really liked them because they looked like everything he wanted. But personality wise, they often clashed. Arguing and bickering like children was customary. Mitch still loved the fuck out of Eddie. Even if he was stupid as shit.

Just as they expected, they passed out on the lazyboy not 20 minutes into the campaign. The chair was honestly so comfortable and they used Eddie's jacket as a blanket. Their dream was full of the loud screaming the boys made whenever something went wrong.

Cursing and slamming fists were completely normal. Mitch knew not to be surprised by anything that happened. They were shaken awake by the pager on their pants beeping. Mitch yawned and lifted it up to see the message.

'I took the car home. Your parents are coming tomorrow.'

They pushed their head back into the cushion and groaned. Every single weekend there was a risk of their parents coming home. Mitch wanted to throw a stupid tantrum. Their ribs still ached from the tattoo.

They turned their attention to the game happening and from how tense everyone seemed, things must have been coming to a close.

"Come on you son of a bitch," Dustin. That boy cursed so much it made Mitch laugh.

Mike and Lucas squeezed one another as Dustin rolled the die. It rolled around a few times before landing on what must have been good because everyone but Jeff screamed.

"Jesus H. Christ, Henderson!" Eddie shook Dustin's shoulders, his eyes bright with adrenaline.

Jeff looked defeated but Mitch could tell he was happy at the party for beating his campaign. "Hey look, Addams is back from the dead!" All eyes were instantly on them.

Red tinted their cheeks as they were still painfully sleepy. "So I take it the party won?" The clock read 11:56pm. "I'm surprised you kids were allowed out this late."

"We're staying at Mike's! Eddie's giving us a ride there!" Lucas blurted which made Mitch laugh.

"I'm not your mom, I won't rat you out."

The party instantly started breaking the game down and talked about the win. It must have been a hard fight for them. Mitch stood and stretched, feeling their bones solidify after sleeping so comfortably.

"You good to drive yourself home?" Eddie asked which reminded Mitch of what their aunt said.

Mitch shook their head, packing up the snacks, "No, Uma got the car because Mr. and Mrs. Addams are set to be home this weekend."

"I got you, just hurry to get shotgun because they're like total buttheads."

"Alrighty, who's the new Dungeon Master, anyway?"

The look on Eddie's face said it all. "I'm going to make your lives a living hell." He smiled like a devil and Mitch scoffed at him.

"Anyone want to take some of this shit home?" Mitch pointed at the stack of candies and chip bags. "It'll go to waste at mine. Unless you wanna save it for the next meeting?" Their suggestion was ignored as everyone jumped at the opportunity to take some snacks home. It was like watching a colony of ants cover a piece of watermelon in the grass.