13 | Perfectly Healthy Human

Even with their growing excitement to invite their old friends... part of Mitch was also really nervous. Things didn't exactly end the best for them and one person in particular. When Mitch said they wouldn't date Eddie to risk what happened before–Mitch was referring to none other than Mai Jackson.

Mai was Mitch's first friend, first love, and first heartbreak. They were inseparable for the longest and one night they kissed. It changed their dynamic for the better for a while. Then Mitch told Mai they were moving to Hawkins. To say the least, Mai took it... horribly.

She wasn't ever the nicest person but Mitch swore they saw pure hate in her eyes. "How could you do this to me and then leave!?"

What could Mitch say? Sorry wouldn't cut it. So... Mitch didn't say anything. They said goodbye despite her anger and prayed things would be ok. Mitch talked to Faith now and then, she had been the group's mediator. But it seemed even she disliked Mitch a little for how things ended.

But that was like... three years ago... grudges don't last that long. Right?

Mitch's hand shook as they punched in Mai's number. Either she'd tell them to fuck off or maybe hear them out. Either way, Mitch was so scared. The line rang for a few seconds before Mai's voice broke through, "Hello?" She sounded so grown up. Mitch's heart clenched as they let out a breath.

"Hey, it's... it's Mitch." They used their teeth to pull the skin off of their lips as the other end went silent.

"What's up, Mitch?" Another sigh left their body as they deflated with relief, "Everything... okay?"

They nodded to themself, "Yea, just wanted to see you and the rest of the old gang wanted to come down for a few days."

"To Hawkins? There's nothing to do in Hawkins–"

"I know, I know." Mitch felt their normal bravado returning, "But, my best friend is throwing a Halloween party and there's not gonna be many people. I thought it'd be fun for you guys to get out of the city for once."

Mai sighed, "I–I don't know, Mitch. It's weird that you're just casually calling my grandma's house like this."

There it is. They gulped, "I'm sorry." Mitch's voice was so small, "I really miss everyone."

There was a pregnant pause between the two ex-lovers.

"Listen, I'll tell Faith and Henry about it–but that's not me saying yes. 80 miles is a long-ass trip and I don't even know if I want to see you."

"Okay, I get it. I'm sorry for calling out of the blue, I just only heard about it and you guys were the first people I thought of inviting. I'm not exactly popular here."

Her laugh made Mitch smile, "Sure you aren't, you were the princess at our middle school."

"That was definitely you, Ms. Jackson. I'll let you go, thank you for hearing me out. I hope to see you guys next week."

"Yea... I'll tell them about it." Mai paused and Mitch waited desperately hoping for something more, "It was nice hearing your voice, Juanita."

Nobody ever called Mitch by their middle name anymore–Mai had always used it as their name. It gave Mitch a sliver of hope that Mai would come.

They couldn't help the smile on their face, "You too, Mai Li. Bye." Mitch hung up and held the phone to their chest as they lay on their bed–that went so well. "I've still got it!"

"Sir, Edward the Banished, what the fuck are you wearing?" Mitch's eyebrows risked falling off of their forehead as they took in Eddie's attire.

"Haven't you heard? I've got a Halloween party to attend, Wednesday." He smiled widely and they rolled their eyes, "Hey! My popular kid costume is top tier, alright, look at this letterman jacket! It's like 30 fucking years old–" Eddie broke off into a laugh and Mitch couldn't help but laugh with him.

He was wearing an obviously vintage Hawkins High letterman jacket, light wash jeans, and a polo shirt. "You look like Jason Carver if he put a mop on his head." Mitch blurted with a cheeky grin.

Eddie's jaw dropped as he placed a hand on his chest, "You wound me, sweetheart." He spun around, snapping his finger as he searched for something on his desk, "But, I'm way prettier than Jason Carver. He looks like he's got a stick up his ass 24/7."

They snorted, "That's because he does. I heard some cheerleaders saying that he swore to celibacy and now Chrissy Cunningham goes without every night." Mitch fake pouted with another snort leaving their nose.

"That is a disgusting sound, stop it. I found it," Eddie presented Mitch with a grocery bag, "Open it up, Addams."

"What is it?" They untied the knot and opened the bag, "Oh absolutely fucking not."

Eddie groaned loudly, "Please, I don't wanna be sexy zombies–I wanna be those we hate the most. We're already going to a party."

"A party thrown by Robin Buckley! This isn't a real Halloween party, I doubt there will even be booze." They argued as they lifted the Hawkins High cheerleading outfit from the bag, "Where'd you even get this?"

"Bought it off that one girl with the dark circles." They crunched up their face at Eddie, "Y'know the one who you said yells at you for being annoying as shit in math!"

Mitch dropped the outfit into the bag, "Allie? Since when was she a cheerleader?"

"I dunno, but I think it was a few years ago, so it should fit perfectly. You're like freakishly skinny, by the way, Mitch." They pushed his head away violently and Eddie went stumbling to the floor. "I'm just worried about your health, man–" They threw the bag at his face. "Hey!"

"I'm a perfectly healthy human! Why do you wanna go as popular kids anyway? My idea was way more you."

Eddie shrugged from his spot on the floor, "Found this in Wayne's old shit and my brain did what it always does and–"

"Came up with something stupid?"

He flipped Mitch off, "No–you asshole, I came up with a finished costume in like a day. Where's our sexy zombie suits?"

They sent him a glare, "I've been looking for fake blood everywhere–Hawkins has fucking nothing. I'm so tempted to drive to that outlet mall on Exit 180."

"That's like 45 minutes away, are you crazy?"

"I'm best friends with you, you do the math, Munson."