11 | Touch Up On Me

Eddie's plan was so very 'simple', Mitch disagreed. Cheating in Mundy's class was so unheard of that nobody even bothered trying. But Eddie said he had a foolproof plan.

"Listen, if you write the answers on your thighs and wear that skirt you got, he can't possibly ask to look up your skirt to see what you're doing! That'd literally be a court case. It is completely impregnable."

"Why'd you say it like that? I get you're confident, but impregnable? Is that a vocab word in Ms. White's class?"

Eddie looked away, flicking his hair out of his face as he took a hit from the bong, "Uh actually, no it isn't. I am not as dumb as everyone thinks."

They didn't argue with that, "You know math so you're smart to me. Even if you're too dumb for English." Eddie pushed Mitch's shoulder with the butt of the bong and they bared their teeth at him like they were hissing. "How am I gonna get the answers anyway?"

"Ah, so you're interested?"

"Yes, I am interested in passing a required class? I'm already retaking it you jackass."

So here they were, mini-skirt on and pen marks all over the tops of their thighs. It was so hard not to rub the fabric against their skin throughout the second period. Eddie said that he got the answers from some kid in Mundy's homeroom. He claimed he trusted their intellect. At this point, Mitch had no choice but to cheat.

They had their skirt lifted and scrubbed at their skin aggressively. The blue ink was so intent on staying that Mitch's thighs were beginning to turn red. "Fucking fuck!" They shouted and pressed harder. They winced loudly.

"Are you okay out there?" Familiar voice. Mitch thought about it and realized none other than Emmaline White was in one of the dingy stalls.

"Not really. How is it that pen is sticking more than some of my tattoos? I'm gonna scream."

Emmaline exited the stall without flushing, "I didn't piss, I was smoking." She explained and Mitch nodded. "Oh shit."

"Yea! Oh shit! I am going to kill Edward Munson."

"He did that to you? Tell the police isn't that like–abuse?"

Mitch shook their head, "No he gave me the pen I used. I knew I should have used that washable marker."

Emmaline laughed and Mitch glared at her so hard that the girl looked away. "Maybe try the soap in the girl's locker room? That stuff is so strong. It used to dry my skin out so badly."

"...where is the girl's locker room?" Mitch had never had a reason to go to the gym area, they did their physical education credits freshman year.

"I've got a free period, come on, I'll show you."

"Well, nobody's supposed to be back here without permission but I don't think you'd like to explain–"

Mitch cut her off, "Please just take me there so I can wash this shit off." They followed behind Emmaline silently, wishing for Eddie Munson to run into a wall or anything for payback. "Also, by the way, where do you get your eyeliner... perchance?"

It wasn't often that Mitch was shy. They usually held their own quite well but Emmaline was painfully pretty. Much like someone else.

"Stole it from the Family Dollar by where Starlight used to be, it's the kind with two colors."

Mitch nodded, "Nice, you don't seem like the shoplifting type."

Emmaline snorted and pushed through the gym doors, "When money is hard to come by, morals run thin."

The way she said 'morals run thin' stumped Mitch. It sounded so... weird. "Thank you for showing me the way, Emmaline."

"Call me Allie, I hate my full name."

They glanced away, "Uh, sure thing, Allie. Thanks."

Allie offered Mitch a smile, "No problem. Um... good luck with that."

If Keith hated Mitch before then he'd certainly want to choke them out now. They forgot to pack a pair of pants and now walked toward Family Video feeling painfully self-conscious. Not only was it cold as shit–they felt a little naked.

Eddie made so many gross jokes about the skirt just because he felt so sure Mitch passed the test. They didn't bother arguing with him. There was a like... a tiny inkling that Eddie's answers were right.

Mitch's legs felt like they were going to fall off and they didn't look much better either. The only good thing about walking in the middle of October was that the sun was still out well past four. Come November it'd get so dark right after four.

They made quick work of the few-mile trek, keeping busy with their walkman and favorite mixtape. High-tempo songs were their favorite. Something about getting their heart pumping kept Mitch from being completely depressed.

"Did you walk all the way here!?" Mitch lifted their head, seeing Steve standing in the doorway of the store. They wondered where Robin might be. "Jesus, you are crazy."

Mitch pulled their headphones down, the cold air licked at the newly exposed skin. At this point, they were so cold they felt like they were burning up. "Didn't have a ride," They practically ran inside the store underneath his arm. Thankfully it was nice and warm in the Family Video because Mitch was certain they'd die any second.

"Oh my god, it feels so nice to be inside." Mitch was immediately rubbing any kind of warmth into their dead limbs. They flopped onto the staff room couch with a sigh. "I swear I might cry."

Steve followed after them, obviously concerned. "You could have called the store, I would have given you a ride."

They waved him off, "Nah, I need to work these old bones anyway." They did appreciate the offer though, "I will definitely take you up on that offer next time I'm without my car."

"I give Robin rides like..." He had to think about it for a second, "Yea, I give her rides everywhere."

"I heard my name–Jesus, Mitch what happened to you?!" Speak of the devil and she shall appear, Robin's jaw was on the floor.

Mitch smiled sheepishly, "I walked."

"I would have ditched work if I had to walk." Robin sat beside Mitch, "I can rub your legs for you, friendo?" Robin joked with a smirk.

"You just wanna touch up on me, you perv." Mitch laughed along with her and didn't mention how red Steve turned.

Robin gaped at Mitch before rolling her eyes, "I was offering my services as a masseuse! Get your head out of the gutter!" The pair ended up rubbing different parts of Mitch's body. Robin got their arms and they got their legs. "You're fucking freezing, dude."

"Really!? I did not know!" Robin glared at Mitch, "I'm kiddin–" A blanket slapped Mitch in the face, "Ow, what the–"

Steve stood in the doorway with a worried expression, "I did not mean to hit you in the–"

"A blanket! Are you kidding me? I could kiss you right now!" Robin gave Steve a knowing look and he quickly averted his gaze. Mitch was too busy practically making out with the blanket to notice.

"Found it in my car, I'd rather not deal with a dead body."

Robin pulled away from Mitch, eyeing their legs curiously, "Do you have some kinda rash what the fuck is–" Mitch shoved the blanket into her face to shut her up.