6. Florence

I didn't really know why Aro showed up in my room when he interrupted Felix and me because he didn't stay long. It was almost as if he weren't actually interested in talking to me; he seemed more interested in shooing Felix away.

I probably should've cared more, especially if Felix wasn't bullshitting about being my mate, but I didn't. I had more pressing matters to attend to, like figuring out where I could get a hold of a pack of cigarettes and a guitar.

"Goddamn freak show," I grumbled as I locked myself in the bathroom and undressed to take a shower.

The bathroom was luxurious and modern, with both a walk in shower and a separate, spacious bathtub. The sinks and counters were made of marble and had dark gold fixtures, and there was a doorway to a walk-in closet on the left side of the room.

The shower felt incredibly nice; it felt like the hot water was washing away all of the turmoil that I'd experience throughout the previous few days. So much had happened in such a short amount of time - I barely had the time to catch my breath.

By the time I was finished showering and was redressed in a simple black dress with a high end feel to it, I'd begun to grow antsy. I should have tried to lie down and get some sleep, but it simply wasn't possible. Instead, I made my way to the front entrance of the castle, though the spacious, well lit front lobby.

"I'm sorry, can I help you?" a tall, leggy woman asked from behind the receptionist's desk.

"All good," I said briskly, waving her off.

"I insist," she asserted, standing from her seat. It became clear to me that she was trying to deter me from exiting the castle. Too bad for her, she was only human. She couldn't stop me from leaving if she tried. I kept walking toward the front door.

"Where do you think you're going?" a man asked as he strolled into the room.

I turned around and eyed him. He was a tall, well built brunette with perfectly quaffed hair. I recognized him as the man who always seemed to be paired up with Felix.

"You're Felix's friend, aren't you?" I asked, hoping I sounded flippant. I knew I shouldn't provoke the staff, but I was getting agitated. All I wanted was to pick up a few things from the corner store. Was it really so hard?

"Sure," he said with a nonchalant smirk. "But, that's beside the point."

"I'm just going to pick up a few things from the store," I explained. "Y'all got a CVS?"

"How do you intend on buying anything if you have no money?" Demetri asked.

"Gee, I don't know. Do you have a company credit card I could borrow?"

"If you want money, go find Aro."

"I don't want to go through Aro for everything," I replied.

"Well, I hate to break it to you, but this is his circus. If you want something, you have to go talk to him."

"I'm just going on a walk," I said, adjusting my plans stubbornly. I was interested in seeing how far I could push him.

Moving quickly, I pushed through the front door and hurried out of the shadows and out into the daylight.

The crisp winter air felt amazing on my skin as I raced down the alleyways and onto the main street. By then, it was late morning, and the weather was perfect. I cast a glance over my shoulder to see if anyone was following me; no one was. I continued to make a run for it down main street - at a normal, human pace - savoring the feeling of freedom I felt. It was so nice not to be surrounded by thirty-something vampires. It was literally my worst nightmare.

Demetri was right, though. I had no money, and I had nowhere to go, but, at that moment, I didn't mind. I just jogged around in plain sight of normal civilization and enjoyed the sights and sounds of Volterra.

The city was worn with age, but well maintained, with stone walkways predominantly matching the rows of stone buildings that lined the freshly paved streets. Volterra was a smaller town, but it was lively, and there seemed to be plenty to do.

After a few minutes, my jog slowed down to a walk, then a stroll, until I came to a stop when I found a cute little coffee shop. It had a nice little outdoor area with a few tables, umbrellas, and matching wooden chairs. I took a seat in order to take a moment to catch my breath and enjoy the morning; I hoped that no one, employee or otherwise, would pop by to shoo me away.

Ultimately, no one bothered me, that is, until a man in his late twenties sat down at my table, directly across from me, with two cups of coffee in hand.

"Would you mind if I joined you?" the man asked, a talk bookish academic type with neatly cropped brown hair; his demeanor was easy going and pleasant.

"No, not at all," I said, caught a little off guard by my unexpected companion.

"I see that you didn't have a drink. As it happens, I have two," the man said playfully, pushing one of the cups of coffee across the table to me. "My name is Michael."

"Lucy," I said with a tepid smile. I'd always been a bit weary about strangers, but after the past couple of days, I was exceptionally so.

"So, what's your story?" Michael asked.

"What do you mean?"

"What brings you here to Volterra? You don't look like a local."

"What do I look like to you?"

"Honestly?"

"Yeah, why not?"

"You look like a lost foreigner," he said. "American?"

"Maybe," I smiled. "What about you?"

"I'm visiting my grandmother," Michael said. "She's in her nineties, and I've been trying to spend as much time with her as possible before...well."

"I gotcha," I nodded. "That's really...sweet."

"I would just hate to miss out on her, you know?"

"Yeah, of course," I said, although I had no idea. My family had been dead and gone for centuries.

"What brings you to Italy?"

"Ah—" I had to think fast. "School," I lied. "I'm a foreign exchange student."

"Oh, really?" Michael asked, his interest peaked. "What school have you been attending here?"

"Uh..." I trailed off. "University of Florence."

That sounded legitimate, right?

"Oh, yes! Wow!" Michael nodded. "I graduated from there a few years ago. I still live in the city. Have you been staying on campus?"

"No," I said quickly, floundering, "A few classmates and I have been staying in a house near campus, though. It's pretty nice. But, I've been wanting to get out and explore more of the country while I'm here so...here I am!"

"That's admirable," he said. "What are you studying?"

"Music," I said. "I'm in a band, actually, back at home."

"Oh, wow," Michael said earnestly. "I would love to see you play."

"Well, maybe one day," I said, waving him off.

"There are lots of ventures in Florence. Maybe I'll run into you again one day," he smiled, backing off when he sensed that I wanted space.

"Sure, yeah. Maybe."

"Well, I better get going," Michael said, getting to his feet.

"Wouldn't want to leave your grandma waiting," I replied.

"Exactly," he laughed. "Well, until next time."

"Yeah, until next time," I smiled. "Maybe in Florence."

"Yeah," he grinned, "Maybe in Florence."