13. Fun and Games

Once we were on the street, we walked about a block before Felix, completely catching me off guard, pulled me into an alleyway in between two buildings. He backed me up against the dark brick wall and put his arm up, resting his hand on the wall, essentially caging me in place.

"You do know that I don't take commands from you, right?" he asked in a low voice, looking down at me intently.

"What? Do you want me to ask nicely?" I asked with heavy sarcasm. I widened my eyes and bat them dramatically. "Oh, Felix, you big strong man, you. Would you pleeease kill that awful man for little ol' me?"

Felix's eye lit up with amusement, and the corner of his mouth quirked up into a smile.

"Hey, bud," a masculine voice interrupted us from the mouth of the alleyway, "I think you need to back up."

Felix looked over at the man, but he didn't budge.

"Are you okay, miss?" the man asked. He was a beefy man, probably six feet tall, but he still didn't hold a candle to Felix.

"She's fine," Felix said with a breezy smile that didn't match his tone.

"I'd like to hear it from her," the man said sternly.

"It's okay," I said to the man, "I know him."

"That doesn't make a difference," he said, stepping into the alleyway, towards us. "If you need help..."

Felix put his arm down and stood at his full height. "Are you accusing me of hurting my wife?" he demanded. He was growing agitated; it didn't seem like he took too kindly to even the mere thought of hurting me, much less the insinuation.

"You have her pinned up against a wall in a dark alleyway," the man replied, keeping his cool. "I doubt anyone would blame me for being concerned."

Felix narrowed his eyes; he looked thoroughly unamused.

I can't lie, I was kind of interested in seeing where the altercation would go - I wouldn't have minded a little more excitement - but, the man was just trying to be a good person. I couldn't let him get his shit rocked for being a good samaritan.

"Darling," I said to Felix lightly, "he's just trying to be nice. Don't be a dick." I gave the man a wide, encouraging smile. "See? I'm fine."

The man studied us for an extra moment, but, ultimately he chose to leave without further provocation.

"I didn't realize you had a conscience," Felix said facetiously once the man was gone. "Strange."

"It varies from moment to moment," I replied as I began to head back to the street.

"Where are you going?" Felix asked.

I turned back to look at him. "If you're not going to kill that man in the bar for me, then I'll do it myself."

I continued onto the street and began to walk in the direction we came from.

"So now you're big and bad?" Felix asked, mocking me when he caught up.

"You're the one who doesn't want to help," I said loftily.

"You're putting words in my mouth."

"But, that doesn't change the fact that I don't need you."

Felix let out a cocky laugh. "Please."

I stopped walking and turned to look at him. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You've got spunk, I'll give you that, but you're also small and practically a human."

"I've survived two hundred years without you," I said sharply.

"Surviving is very different from living," he replied, his confidence unwavering.

"You think I'm so goddamn blessed to have you, huh?" I sneered.

"I don't think that's an unfair conclusion to make," he said, oh, so smug.

I couldn't believe his nerve. "Wow," I huffed, "And I was starting to think that I was the asshole in this relationship."

"Relationship?" Felix taunted me as we continued on our way.

"Would you prefer to take things slower, sweet husband?" I asked, my tone thick with sarcasm. "Hey! What the hell?"

Felix and I had stopped in front of the bar, but, upon looking around, the rest of the team was nowhere to be found - Santiago included.

"Where did they go?" I asked incredulously.

"I guess they left," Felix said, totally unconcerned.

"They left? Why?" I demanded.

"Uhh, because you were a nightmare on the flight over?" he suggested.

"I wasn't on my best behavior, sure, but they didn't have to leave me behind. Aro is going to be so pissed. I'm supposed to stay with Santiago."

"I think you'll live," he said. "Plus, Aro will be busy. We found Esther's source."

"Is that who you guys had?"

"Yes. They're being taken back to Volterra for questioning. Needless to say, Aro will have his hands full for a while. I doubt he'll have much time to micromanage you."

"For now," I grimaced. "This is totally going to bite me in the ass later. Those jerks!"

"What's the worst thing he could do to you?" Felix asked. "Ground you?"

"Yes! And that sounds miserable!"

"Oh, come on. You're his pride and joy. He wouldn't give you that much grief. If anything, he'll be too eager to have you back to do anything."

"I doubt that," I said bitterly. "I'm just a science experiment, remember? I doubt it's that personal."

I gave Felix a quick look, but tried not to look too invested in his potential response. He was one of the guards Aro kept close - not to mention the fact that he'd known him for much longer. I figured there was a good chance that Felix knew more than I did - or, at least had better insight on the matter.

Not to mention the fact that whenever I saw an opportunity to fish, I had a hard time not dropping the bait.

"I'm sure that has something to do with why he's keeping you close, but it's not the only reason," Felix divulged. "The Cullens have a hybrid, and it pains Aro to not have such a unique addition to his coven, too."

"The Cullen's have a shiny, new toy, so why can't I," I muttered, speculating about Aro's train of thought. How lovely.

"Not just that," he said, "but, a shinier one. One that's prettier, richer, more pampered, better cared for...more clout, more power, a better title..."

"Right, right, right," I said, cutting him off. I got the picture. All of the spoils I'd been receiving weren't from the kindness of Aro's heart - as I expected, of course. No, they were simply a way for him to feed his own ego, in some weird, roundabout way.

Just another day in Aro-land. Whatever.

"Plus, you know...me," Felix added.

"What about you?" I asked without thinking.

Felix wrinkled his brow and gave me a weird look.

"Oh, right. The whole soulmates for life thing," I nodded, "Gotcha."

"Glad to know that's on the back burner for you," he replied mildly.

"Or maybe that's just what I want you to think," I said, wagging my eyebrows at him. "Now, come on. Let's go beat the shit out of that guy so we can go home."

"See? Now, that's what I'm talking about," Felix grinned. "I knew we were destined to be together for a reason."

"Yeah, yeah; don't get all sentimental on me now, boss," I teased, "We have work to do."