38. Idaho

When I committed myself to embracing my vampire side, I didn't expect to immediately have to not only witness, but condone genocide.

Fuck me.

But I was already in to deep, plus, what was done was done. Way too many people knew about our existence and it put our kind in extreme and immediate danger. I'd joined the Volturi on my own accord and now it was time to do my job.

The trip to Idaho was uneventful, at least. After everything I'd been through over the past couple of days and everything I had in store for for the next twenty four hours, I had no energy for any more complications. As I stared out the airplane window on the flight across the country I wondered if life as a vampire was always so dramatic. I hoped not. It was getting old very quickly.

Once Felix and I were off the plane we still had quite a drive ahead of us. I stared glumly out of the heavily tinted window of our rented Lexus as Felix drove us farther and farther away from any sign of civilization - seclusion was perfect for fostering a cult, and where else was better than underpopulated mountains of northern Idaho.

I managed to fall asleep as some point while we wound through the sweeping mountain range, which burned some time. Sure, we could've travelling on foot, but my human side left me worn out and in desperate need for sleep. As much as I didn't appreciate my limitations - which is what they were when I was around vampires - I couldn't get around my human need for frequent food and rest.

As much as I didn't want to admit it to myself, having such a menacing and ruthless mate wasn't so bad; I could sleep without having to worry about being caught off guard by a much less understanding immortal, and I had someone to hunt for me if I needed it. For the first time in my life I had someone to take care of me.

"What's the plan?" I asked Felix after my long and heavy nap.

"We go to the designated point and wait," Felix replied.

"Okay. And how long will we have to sit around with our thumbs up our asses?"

"If you're asking how long it will take for the rest of the coven to arrive, it shouldn't be more than a few hours."

"Sounds like a waste of time to me," I said.

"You had no problem wasting time since you left the castle," Felix pointed out. "Why the sudden change of heart?"

"Well, maybe I feel bad about it."

"I sincerely doubt that," he scoffed.

"Okaaay." Damn. Caught in a lie. "How about this? The kings are probably pissed that I've been dicking around, right?"

"There's no doubt about that," Felix replied flatly. "Which I warned you about."

"Yeah, yeah, I get it," I huffed. "Look, now is the time for us to make up for it."

"Us?"

"You know what I mean."

"What are you proposing?"

"Instead of sitting around like a couple of assholes, we could go get a closer look at the compound. Get some real intel on what we are dealing with."

"Hmm," Felix hummed, thinking it over. "It's not your worst idea - except for the risk of getting caught. It would ruin our element of surprise, and, more importantly, it would give the crook in charge time to flee."

"So we don't get caught," I shrugged.

Felix pulled the car to a stop and cut the engine. He gave me a long look before responding. "And how do you suggest we don't get caught? I don't exactly blend in."

"I'll go in myself," I said with unwavering confidence. I hoped that if I spoke with certainty then he would be more willing to look past the risks. "I'm human enough, and I'm not a hulking monster like you. I could-"

"No." Felix cut me off abruptly.

"What? Why?" I demanded.

"It's one thing to risk getting caught, and a whole other thing risking you getting yourself killed."

"I can handle two vampires."

"We don't know how many of our kind are involved in this," Felix said. "And even if it is just one, you have no idea how to defend yourself."

"I can hold my own," I insisted.

"Beating the piss out of a human is very different than fighting a vampire. It takes copious amounts of training to be consistantly successful for someone who isn't half human - I'm not letting you risk yourself like that."

"Look." I was getting antsy. If I was going to be a part of the Volturi, I wanted to get my hands dirty. "Aro has been so sketched out about you and me being mates, right?"

Felix grunted in reply. He was getting annoyed.

"He's probably just worried that I'll convince you to leave the coven," I continued.

"Aro knows my loyalty is resolute."

"But Aro likes certainty," I pointed out. "And the only way we can put his apprehension about us to rest is for me to prove my loyalty, as well."

"Allow him to read your mind," he said plainly.

"Actions speak louder than words."

Felix was staring at me again. I could tell I was wearing him down.

"I'll be careful," I promised him. "And if things even begin to go sideways I'll get out of there."

Felix stared at me for a moment longer before leaning across the center console and placing his finger under my chin, tipping my face up to look at him.

"Come home to me," he said, his voice unusually gentle and somber. "I mean it."

"I will," I said, making myself sound impatient in and attempt to break the heaviness of the moment. It didn't work; my cheeks were burning.

Felix pressed his lips to mine, kissing me firmly. My heart raced as he wrapped his strong arms around me, pulling me closer. I looped my arms around his neck and fell into his embrace.

Felix pulled away from me just enough to study my face. "I love you, Lucy," he said with the upmost sincerity.

I wanted to puke; I was so fucking nervous. Goddamn, I hated the butterflies in my stomach. "I love you, too," I admitted with uncharacteristic bashfulness.

"Don't take too long," Felix said after he reluctantly let me go.

"I won't," I promised him.

And, for once, I really wasn't lying.