Chapter 1: into the forest

A/N: I don't own Warriors. Erin Hunter does. I just play with the characters.

Nutmeg padded out of her cat flap, purring as she felt the slight breeze ruffle her fur. She looked around the yard, her amber eyes blinking rapidly in the sunlight.

After a few moments of adjusting she padded to the fence and jumped atop of it, balancing carefully before jumping down and padding to the nearest meadow. As she was sniffing around she got a whiff of something delicious. Following the scent, she noticed a small creature nibbling on something near her.

She tried to get into a crouch but because of her belly, she couldn't balance herself well.

Unbeknownst to Nutmeg, she was being watched by three pairs of eyes. One yellow, one blue, and one amber. They had seen her eyeying the forest with a curious expression a few times while on patrols before.

" She seems to be a pretty good hunter for a kittypet." One of the cats watching, a golden tabby she-cat with amber eyes commented, her eyes following the brown and white queen.

" And she's probably expecting kits, too." The sandy grey tom with a white chest nodded, having noticed Nutmeg's slightly rounded belly.

"It seems like that. " The golden tabby nodded, thinking about how she'd hope to have kits of her own someday. Maybe with a tom like Tigerclaw or Icestorm.

Suddenly the wind changed directions, blowing the scent of the three cats towards Nutmeg. The brown tabby lifted her head, trying to get a better idea of where the scent was coming from. What is that? A scent of at least two cats? It seems like they are close. Am I being watched?

The white tom with yellow eyes noticed her reaction. " She smelled us. " He warned his companions.

The golden tabby nodded. " I know that. Should we go away or do something else?" She asked, looking at the two toms.

The white tom looked at Nutmeg who was sniffing the air, trying still to get an idea of where the scent was coming from.

" One of us should approach her at first while the other two stays hidden. Then if it seems like it'd be needed they can approach. " He mewed.

" That sounds like a good idea , Whitestorm. " The mottled grey tom nodded his blue eyes watching carefully the brown and white tabby queen.

" I can be the one who approaches her. " The golden tabby suggested.

The white tom nodded. " Go on"

The golden tabby padded out of the bush they had been hiding, causing Nutmeg to turn to look at her and take a defensive stance, her tail flicking.

" Calm down. I'm not going to hurt you. " Goldenflower told her, trying to sound calm.

Nutmeg hissed slightly at the bigger she-cat while glaring at her.

Goldenflower looked at her, calmly. " Why do you stare at the forest sometimes? Don't you know that it's dangerous for a kittypet like you? Especially since you seem to be expecting kits. " The tabby asked.

" I'm not a kittypet. I'm a house cat. As for why I sometimes look at the forest, my mate told me that groups of cats live there. I wanted to see was it true or not. Jake claimed that he knew one of the cats from the moor group. " Nutmeg told her, eyeing her carefully. If she'd wanted to hurt me she'd have done it already now.

The tabby she-cat nodded, knowingly. " The groups he told you about are called Clans. There are four Clans: ThunderClan, RiverClan, ShadowClan, and WindClan. I'm a warrior of ThunderClan. " She explained.

" Warrior? Does that mean that you fight other cats?" Nutmeg asked, sounding intrigued.

Goldenflower nodded. " Yes, it means, but not everyone in a Clan is a warrior. Some cats heal, others are too old or too young to fight. Others care for kits or are expecting them. We care for everyone together. " She continued explaining noticing how the brown and white tabby she-cat had positioned herself so that her slightly swollen belly was away from the bigger cat.

" Does it mean that the kits aren't taken from their mothers once they are weaned like happens to kits of a housecat?" Nutmeg asked, sounding hopeful now. I could be able to see my kits grow up into wonderful cats. And maybe to have another litter.

Goldenflower nodded. " Yes, queens can take care of their kits even after they have been weaned. The kits will spend the first six moons of their lives in the camp, learning about life in a Clan. After that, they will be apprenticed to a warrior or a medicine cat who will act as their mentor. " She continued.

Nutmeg purred. " Sounds wonderful. "

Goldenflower nodded again. " Life in a Clan can be wonderful but it also has its downsides. For example fights with other Clans over prey or territory, disease, or hunger during leaf-bare.  It is harsh yet rewarding at the same time. "

Nutmeg nodded. " I understand that. I wish I could experience it myself. " She mewed sounding wistful.

" If you really think you have what it takes to be a Clan cat, meet me and a few others here tomorrow before sunhigh. " Goldenflower told her, flicking her tail.

Nutmeg nodded. " I will. I promise that."

Later that night Nutmeg saw a dream where she saw a young flame-colored tom with green eyes standing atop a massive rock while looking down on her, while she was among the crowd of cats.   She felt a surge of pride in her chest. That's my son in there.

A/N: Whoa. Almost 1k words. Sorry, for the wait. I was on a holiday trip in Spain and didn't have much time, nor the energy to write.