Chapter 7: Kit Games and Surprises

A/N: I don't own Warriors. Erin Hunter does. I just play with the characters.

" Speech"

Thoughts, dreams

' Flashback'

Lilystep padded out of the nursery, purring as she watched Firekit, Greykit, and Ravenkit play with a moss ball. The trio of kits had gotten close during their first four  moons. And the friendship of the two bolder toms has brought Ravenkit out of his shell.

Ravenkit threw the moss ball to Firekit who had to chase it for a few steps, his flame-colored fur fluffed up with excitement.  However, before he caught the moss ball there was a yowl and a dark grey fluffball hit him, causing the two kits to tumble over and over again, tails and legs tangled up.

" Greykit! Get off me, you big lump! You're squishing me! " Firekit yowled faintly from under the bigger, fluffier kit who suddenly scrambled up as if he had been stung by a bee.

Lilystep watched the interaction, purring with amusement. " You should be more careful about your surroundings, Greykit. If you always rush forward like that you could hurt someone else or yourself badly. " She told the kit.

" I'm sorry, Lilystep. I'll be more careful later on, I promise! " Greykit squeaked nervously, his fur now fluffed up even more than usual.

Lilystep nodded, purring. " Good. Now, remember to be more careful later, okay? " She told Greykit gently, who nodded before dashing off to play again.

About a quarter moon later, Lilystep was talking to Maplegaze who had had her kits a moon and a half earlier. The trio were the youngest of the kits in the nursery and were looking up to the older kits and some of the younger apprentices, especially Owlpaw, who had gotten his name a few days earlier.

The young tom had been apparently  apprenticed about half a moon earlier than was normal because of the fact that ThunderClan had only four apprentices left: Cherrypaw, Chestnutpaw, Duskpaw, and Juniperpaw and the two older ones had only their warrior assessments left along with half or a quarter moon of training before they'd leave the apprentice's den and joined the warriors in their den.

Suddenly one of Maplegaze's kits , a black and white tom with blue eyes, called Rainkit ran over to the two queens, followed by Firekit, Doekit, Mudkit, Lionkit, Larchkit , Greykit , Flintkit, and Magpiekit.

" Mama! Sandkit, Dustkit, and Amberkit are being mean to us!" Larchkit yowled while shaking, her green eyes wide with terror because of the older kits.

" What do you mean by that, little one?" Lilystep asked, looking at her miniature version.

" We were playing ThunderClan versus RiverClan and Firekit was the leader but Sandkit told us that ' he shouldn't be the leader because he has no forest blood in his veins, only stinky, lazy kittypet blood. Someone like Dustkit should play the leader because he knows how the Clans are, unlike you , stinky little kittypet!' After that, she scratched him!" Larchkit explained, her already fluffy fur standing in every direction. 

As Lilystep looked at her kits, she noticed that Firekit indeed had a scratch on his cheek with a drop of blood welling to the surface.

The brown and white tabby picked her son up by the scruff before padding over to the medicine cat den, despite his protests of " Mama! I know how to walk and I want to keep playing with the others!" 

" Spottedleaf? Are you in here?" She called out to the medicine cat who emerged from the den, looking at the queen and her kit. 

" What is the problem, Lilystep? Did Firekit get hurt by something? Or is it tummy ache from eating too much prey?" The tortoiseshell and white she-cat asked, looking at the fiery kit while sniffing him.

" Sandkit scratched him while they were playing.  I'd like you to check that it's not bad. " Lilystep explained, trying to keep calm.  I should have a talk with Willowpelt about the way her daughters act towards my kits. At least Amberkit isn't as bad as Sandkit.

Spottedleaf nodded, purring. " I see. "

After the medicine cat had treated Firekit's scratches Lilystep carried him back to the nursery.

A few days later, Lilystep was watching her kits and Ravenkit playing with Rainkit and his siblings, Flamekit, a mostly white tom with a few ginger patches and amber eyes, and Mallowkit, a tortoiseshell and white shekit with orange eyes, throwing a moss ball around.

Suddenly the black tomkit let out a screech of terror and the rest of the kits scramled away from him, eyes wide with fear. The reason for their reactions was something slithering near Ravenkit who was frozen with fear. A snake with a flickering tongue and a lightning-shaped stripe down its spine. An adder! One of the most dangerous snakes around, especially to kits!

" A snake! There is a snake in the camp!" Lilystep yowled a warning, causing some of the warriors to run over. One of them, a snow-white tom with yellow eyes called Whitestorm, grabbed Ravenkit by the scruff while Wrenleap, a blue-cream she-cat with green eyes, and Tigerclaw, the dark brown tabby with amber eyes and unusually long front claws cornered the reptile before Tigerclaw struck it twice, causing it to bleed a lot before falling to the ground, lifeless.

Tigerclaw looked at Whitestorm, nodding proudly before picking the dead snake up and throwing it into the fresh kill pile.

" Thank you, Tigerclaw! You saved our kits from a certain death!" Maplegaze mewed gratefully to the dark tom who looked at her with an unreadable expression.

" It was nothing. I'd do anything for the future of ThunderClan and the Clan needs its kits. They are the most important thing we have, being our future generations, after all. " He mewed with a knowing expression on his muzzle. And I know that my legacy needs to continue on. After all, my father was the leader of ThunderClan.  So, I need to have the perfect mate or more than one. I know that Maplegaze is the half-sister of Bluestar so she's out because of her too soft and gentle blood.  But Goldenflower? She'd be the perfect mother for my future kits and I know that she doesn't have a mate in mind, at least not yet.

Meanwhile, in the nursery, Lilystep was sniffing and licking the kits comfortingly along with Robinwing.

" You are safe, little ones. The bad, ugly snake is dead and can't hurt you anymore." She purred calmly. 

" You sure, mama?" Firekit squeaked fearfully, looking at her with wide green eyes.

Lilystep nodded, licking his head lovingly. " Yes, my sweet. I know that you are safe in here as long as you are a part of the Clan.  Warriors will keep you safe from any harm, I promise that. " She purred.

A/N: What do you think? In the next chapter, we will see Cherrypaw's and Chestnutpaw's warrior ceremonies along with a bunch of apprentice ceremonies.

Please comment with your ideas on what warrior  names should Cherry and Chestnut have along with which of the  warriors should mentor the kits, Lilystep's or not. :)