Chapter 5: Even more kits

A/N: I don't own Warriors. Erin Hunter does. I just play with the characters.

" Speech"

Thoughts, dreams

' Flashback'

Lilystep purred as she watched Robinwing's and Brindleface's kits explore the camp with wide eyes and slightly unsure paws, led by Owlkit who seemed to be happy that he finally had denmates to play with. It won't take long until my kits will join them along with Willowpelt's kits. It will only be about half a moon to a quarter moon before mine are born. I can't wait to see what they will look like.

The brown and white tabby's thoughts were interrupted by a now familiar mew of Brindleface who padded over to her, purring as she watched the kits playing around the camp. " Owlkit seems to have quite a bit of energy in him, doesn't he?" The grey tabby queen purred.

Lilystep nodded, purring. " He has, especially after your and Robinwing's kits opened their eyes. "

' Lilystep was woken up by a sudden squeal coming from Cloudfur's nest. The reason for the noise was the grey and white queen's kit, a grey and white tom with green eyes, like his father, Finchwing.

" Did you get hurt by something, Owlkit?" Cloudfur asked her son who shook his head. " No, I didn't, mama. Look at Brindle's kits! They have their eyes open! Does it mean that I can play with them now?!" He squealed excitedly.

Brindleface nodded, purring as she looked at her two kits who now had their eyes open. Amberkit's eyes were a dark amber color, like Redtail's while Sandkit's were leaf green, like the grey tabby queen's. They were watching the older tomkit with wide, curious eyes.

A few days later Robinwing's kits opened their eyes, too. Dustkit's and Magpiekit's eyes were yellow like Fuzzypelt's while Ravenkit had green eyes. '

Brindleface nodded, purring. " I know that. He has been badgering me to let Amberkit and Sandkit play with him and the other kits each dawn after he wakes up. "

Lilystep purred. " He just wants to show Cloudfur that he's the leader of the kits because he's the oldest. And that he knows his way around the camp already or so he thinks."

" Like yesterday when he accidentally nearly padded into Bluestar's den before Redtail caught him, Dustkit, Magpiekit, and Sandkit and told them that ' the scent of one kit in the leader's den means curiosity while the scent of two or more means trouble." Brindleface purred, gazing at her two daughters fondly.

Lilystep purred. " Exactly. "

The next day when Lilystep was washing carefully she heard the sound of pawsteps approaching her. " How are you, Lilystep? Have your kits kept you up at night? You look like you're ready to burst. " She heard the mew of Maplegaze, the newest of the queens who had moved into the nursery around the time of Sandkit's and Amberkit's birth, expecting Blackwing's kits.

Lilystep shook her head, looking at the tortoiseshell and white she-cat whose differently colored eyes were her most distinct feature. I have never seen a cat with one amber eye and one blue eye. I wonder if any of her kits will have different-colored eyes, too.