16: Story Time, Part One

Sevei slept the night in the infirmary tent, although the medics didn't need to do much else for him. Ethereal energy couldn't completely heal a wound, but it did clean it out and set the flesh to mending itself faster than it usually would. His body returned to normal in much less than two hours, but he was left with a bone-deep weariness, in no hurry to move anywhere. In the morning, a small team of soldiers carried him back to his own tent on a stretcher despite his protests that he could walk just fine, thank you.

Arriving back at his tent, he found a waist-high shield, painted in glossy black enamel and adorned with silver Alchemical symbols, leaning against a post of the awning. It was a beautiful piece of work. His gaze went to Urskatha's tent, eyes narrowing in thought. According to Yanek, no one had seen him again last night, or this morning. Sevei couldn't help but worry. What exactly had that cost him?

His hand reached for the shield, but stopped short of touching it. If it was what he thought it was, he wasn't eager to come in contact with lead again just now. But if it came from where he thought it came from – he really wanted to touch it. Restraining himself, he decided to leave it alone for the time being.

The command courtyard was empty. With the camp still on high alert, all the officers were out leading their subunits on guard rounds, in training, or out to reinforce their scout posts up and down the river. Yanek had taken over Sevei's duties for now. Even creepy Lieutenant Thelan had left his tent to take over for Urskatha.

This left Sevei alone in the courtyard all day with nothing to do but think too much. Occasionally, Nal would run over to ask if he needed anything, and Kahan would come by to peek into Urskatha's tent. She assured Sevei that he was only sleeping, and that after a good rest he'd be fine. From time to time, as the hours passed, an increasing sense of guilt would gnaw a pit in Sevei's stomach and he'd have to chase it away by reminding himself how pissed off he was at that arrogant, high-born weirdo.

When night fell, he decided the only thing for it was to get a few soldiers over to build up the bonfire in the center of the courtyard and break out the good wine that Kyrzhan had sent along with him. When Urskatha finally emerged, he found Sevei lying in a reclining chair, drinking wine straight from the bottle and staring into the flames.

He approached so quietly that Sevei was startled when he noticed him standing there, his fair hair and skin reflecting the firelight, looking like some kind of demon come out of one of the many hells to steal his soul. Sevei smiled broadly and sighed with relief.

"Yeresym!" he called out cheerfully.

Urskatha raised an irritated eyebrow. "How are you feeling?" he asked. "Any dizziness?"

"Well," Sevei answered, "I am very, very drunk, so, yeah."

Urskatha scowled. "You shouldn't be drinking."

"You didn't say I couldn't."

"I would think a seasoned soldier would know not to drink while recovering from an injury."

"There's nothing to do," Sevei whined, "and my heart hurts."

Urskatha looked frightened. "Chest pains?"

"Nooo..." Sevei groused. "Not literally." He fixed Urskatha with a mournful gaze and sighed.

"If you're well, then..." Urskatha turned to leave.

"No! You-" Sevei said firmly. "Sit. I have questions, and you are damn well going to answer them."

Urskatha eyed him warily, but nodded and obediently took a seat nearby.

"That shield..." Sevei began.

"It's a spare," Urskatha said dismissively. "You can have it."

"It's lead? Is it dangerous?"