47: Epilogue (NSFW)

Sevei cradled his forehead in one hand, propped on his elbow, and rubbed his temples. He gave a long-suffering sigh to the mess of ledgers spread over his desk. The war had lasted five more years and now that it was over, packing up this camp was more of a headache than any of the fighting had been. In all that time, it had become something of a semi-permanent settlement.

For the most part, life here had been as peaceful as he had predicted so long ago. Once in a while things would get particularly heated and Loranar would send a few troops over to test the border defenses, but it was never anything like those first few battles again. In the end, Loranar had been defeated, and at this very moment a treaty was being negotiated in the capital city of Caedra.

Sevei inked his quill and began to scribble a few more notes when his tent flap gusted aside. Yanek swept through it and flung himself unceremoniously onto Sevei's bed.

"Why are you here?" Sevei asked, leaning back in his chair for a stretch. "Aren't you on leave to pack up your house?"

"Gerna threw me out," Yanek groaned. "She said I was getting in the way. Then she said she doesn't want to move to Valesk anymore. Then she said she doesn't want to see my face today."

Sevei squinted at him thoughtfully.

"Last time she threw you out..." he mused. "Could she be...?"

Yanek bolted upright in a panic.

"No!" he shouted. "No... we were careful... but there was that one night..."

Sevei chuckled under his breath.

"It's easy for you to laugh," Yanek complained, "you don't have that problem..."

"No, don't!" Sevei said irritably, pointing at him in warning. "I'm trying not to think about him."

He turned back to his ledgers, and Yanek flopped back into the pillows.

"I don't know why she gets so mad about it," Yanek whined. "It's not only my doing. She's like a ravenous beast, Vei, and it's not my fault I'm so gorgeous."

Sevei snorted with laughter.

Yanek and Gerna had married four years ago and had two children already, who were the most adorable creatures Sevei had ever seen. Thank the Gods they had both been endowed with Gerna's graceful beauty, although their son was beginning to look more and more like Yanek as he grew.

Sevei fondly recalled their wedding – how happy they had looked standing side by side with wreaths of flowers on their heads, how beautiful Gerna had looked in the dress Kyrzhan had made for her. The feast had been a simple affair in a countryside barn. There had been a lively circle dance, and Sevei and Anzen had actually gotten a slightly inebriated Yeresym to join in. Those had been good days...

He shook his head to clear those thoughts away and glared at Yanek.

"Well, if you're here then go find something to do," he groused. "They're tearing down the outbuildings in the west quarter today. You could go supervise that."

Yanek stood and gave Sevei a salute. "Yes, General!"

Sevei stood as well and closed their distance to clap Yanek on the shoulder.

"Just a few more days, then it's your turn," he said with a smile. "How does it feel, General Yanek?"

Yanek grinned foolishly. "Feels pretty good, Brother. Although I'm nervous about the ceremony. I've never been to the palace before."

"You'll do fine," Sevei assured him. "It kind of goes by in a blur."

Yanek's smile became pensive. "The army's gonna be a lot different without you, though."