20: Let's Settle This Like Men (NSFW)

Sevei swung his legs over the fence, then strolled across the grassy field toward Urskatha, allowing the clamor of his armor, sword, and shield to announce his presence. Urskatha wore no armor today, only a loosely fitting black tunic and trousers, with soft boots on his feet and his sword belt slung around his hips. This clothing allowed for ease of movement, and as Sevei approached behind him, he couldn't help but admire that movement. He shook off any untoward thoughts before he got close enough to be noticed.

"You really should give yourself a break," he said, keeping his tone neutral but friendly.

Urskatha glanced at him, then turned his attention back to the targets.

"I will," he replied in a monotone, "when this is all over."

"The whole war? That could be years!"

Urskatha shrugged, then threw out a glowing orb as if he were pitching a ball.

"I haven't got the luxury of a break just now," he said. "None of us do."

"Well, I've got an idea then," Sevei replied. With a wicked grin, he beat a fist on the front of his shield. "Here's your next target right here. I'd like to test this thing's mettle, and I'm sure you've been dying to hit me. Let's have it."

Urskatha turned and stared at Sevei as if he had to be joking. "Do you not remember the last time you were hit with this?"

Which time? Sevei thought. He bit his tongue to not say it. "Come on," he said aloud. "I need to know how to fight one of you w... Alchemists. Help me out."

"You don't," Urskatha retorted irritably. "I do. You run, or you get low and get that shield over you."

"You really think that in a battle of thousands everyone who's not an Alchemist can just run away or cower? This is everyone's fight. Surely you lot have some weaknesses or blind spots us simple folk can exploit. Share."

Urskatha glared for a long moment, then gave an exasperated sigh. "You're right. Tomorrow, I'll send a few Martials over to train with the troops."

"Well, if you're really not going to blast me, then draw." Sevei drew his blade and pointed it at the sword on Urskatha's hip. "You haven't been practicing the sword lately and you'll need to stay sharp there, too."

Urskatha frowned. "Did you just come over here to pick a fight with me?"

"Yep," Sevei laughed. "You and I have a score to settle."

"Let's just call it even."

"Nope. Let's settle this like men. Draw your blade, General."

"You said you wouldn't push," Urskatha said, his face clouding.

"I said I wouldn't push on that matter," Sevei rejoined. "The two of us commanding this joint force, running this campaign together, that I will push on. No more shutting me out."

Urskatha looked away across the training field, his jaw clenched, his lips twisting. Finally, he nodded. "Fair enough," he said brusquely. "You've made your point. I'm not going to fight you."

Sevei sighed and sheathed his sword. "Yeresym..."

Urskatha's hackles rose further, and although he looked like he might explode, Sevei crossed the few steps between them and reached out a hand to grasp his opposite shoulder, keeping an arm between them as a buffer.

"I know why you're doing all of this," he said gently. "Yeresym, aside from anything else I really am your friend. I've got your back in this fight, I need you to know that."